Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cotodahliagirl

Newbie getting ready to plant

cotodahliagirl
15 years ago

Hi All,

I have grown a few Dahlia's for the past two years this year I am going to try 35 this year.

It is finally getting warm here in Southern California. I have a couple of questions before I put them in the ground tomorrow.

1. do I really need to do a soil test, they have grown well in the past?

2. Bone meal at planting or bone/blood meal? (I have the latter but am afraid to use it as it has blood meal as well)

3. What do I do with the tubers that have already started to sprout since I have had them for about 4 weeks now? I remember seeing a post about pinching them off but couldn't find it to be sure

Thanks for all your help I love the forum and all the posts!

April

Comments (6)

• plantlady2008
    15 years ago

1- not really necessary if they've grown well there before, but you can get inexpensive soil test moniters or do-it-yourself kits at places like Home Depot if you want to make sure.
    2- We never use either- in the past when I used them the neighbor dogs came over & dug it up. grrrrr
    We use good old farm fertilizer 10-20-20.
    3- Depends on how tall the shoot is. You can bury the tuber deeper than usual so that just the tip is sticking out. If there's a couple of sets of leaves, just nip off the bottom ones & plant them under- like you would do tomato plants- the nodes will grow you some extra tubers over the summer. If there's more than one shoot per tuber, take off the extras & only allow one to grow.

• cotodahliagirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you plantlady!
    I will forgo the meal then. I started putting some in pots yesterday, I did just leave the single shoot that had started on some of them. the shoot is not dark green though, should I be concerned? I understand if it was in the dark and not getting sun it would not be green but I wanted to make sure it would still be a hearty plant with this shoot.
    Also I am getting mixed info on whether to water right after planting. Some people say a little others say none. what is your thought on this?
    Thanks!
    April

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Remember that Plantlady lives at the base of a now extenct valcano. If you look through National Georraphic you will see that where ever people plant over old valcano flows the soil is very good for planting. So you might have less of results than Cory dose. I used holland bulb booster last year 9-9-6 and was amased at the difference in tuber size compared to the year before. Also they held up better in storage. Not a complante just another thing you can try. Let us know how you make out this year and what you decided to do.

• cotodahliagirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

did you use it at planting in place of bone meal or after when first feeding?Also where did you buy the bulb booster?
    Thanks!
    April

• plantlady2008
    15 years ago

Don't worry about the shoot not being dark green. It'll green up in no time after it's planted.
    viking-- we're over 50 miles away from Mt. Baker & have sandy loam & river-bottom peat soil on the farm. The only thing the volcano left around here was Volkswagon-sized rocks- & that was apparently over 30,000 years ago. We do use the peat soil in the planting hole though- we think it makes the dahlia's color richer.

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Cory 50 miles , valcano flows go for hundreds of miles. If you have big rocks ask yourself how the rocks got there. The soil and flow that pushed it there has broken down into that sand. Now on long Island it is all sand from the glacher. Your sand is better than my sand.LOL I put a hand full of bulb booster in the hole that I dig for my tubers. I do use bone meal and have not compared what is better.