Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disease?

Posted by nhdahlialover 5 Southwest NH (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 19:51

I planted this tuber in a pot a few weeks ago and nothing was happening, so I checked on it today and it had these bumps all over the crown. They aren't eyes. (Though one of the photos does have an eye in it.) Sorry the photos are kind of blurry, I was trying to get as close of a shot as I could. Any idea what these bumps are? Is it a disease? Should I throw it out?

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disease?

It appears that one eye is growing. Gall is what the bumps look like and are caused by a bacteria. If you have other tubers of this variety, plant them and toss this one. If you have only one, you can try to plant this one but the risk is that the new plant may have gall on it's tubers.

o
RE: Disease?

I do have other tubers of this variety, but now that I think of it, at least one of the others had a larger weird bump like this and may have had it when I divided. Hopefully I didn't spread it to my other plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here