Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steps to potting up tubers in early spring

Posted by ginnyginny Zone 9 Calif (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 20:07

I see lots of discussion about potting up dahlia tubers in early spring (now) but would love to find a discussion about how to do this from start to finish.

I gather they can be under lights, by a bright window, or just in a warm place?

I haven't done this before although I've grown dahlias for 30 years. I understand they should be planted when I plant tomatoes. I won't be planting tomatoes for a month and some of the 20 tubers I bought this year are beginning to sprout.

Thanks
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steps to potting up tubers in early spring

Hi, Ginny. I just joined up GardenWeb so hopefully I'll get everything posted properly in this reply. I'm supplying a link to some photographs at least one person I know of that shows his process for potting up tubers early. I pretty much tried the same thing this year with 4.5" pots I purchased from Novosel and Miracle Gro soil I purchased from Costco. The only step I avoided was cutting the large tubers up so they would fit because I didn't feel comfortable cutting off that much of the tuber. For those I think I'll buy some biodegradable nursery pots and store them in that until it's time to plant.
They don't really need much light until the sprouts start getting a few inches tall, just a bit of heat and room temperature seems to do the trick just fine. I usually don't plant in my zone until after Mother's Day just to be on the safe side.

Here is a link that might be useful: FDR's dahlia potting steps

o

That page makes it look pretty simple. I hope it's that basic.

Thanks
Ginny

o

• Posted by maxyck zone5b canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 17:51

Edewitt, your steps to planting dahlias indoors was very helpful. All your dahlias look great, but I was particularly drawn to Blinky. I did a small search but couldn't find it for sale in Canada. Maybe someone can help.

o

Sorry but those pictures are actually taken by someone else. I figured they might be a helpful guide for those new to trying to get a head start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here