Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hvander_gw

Planting tubers in same area year after year?

hvander
14 years ago

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced poor growth when planting tubers in the same plot of land/soil year after year. Common sense tells me that the soil needs to be amended periodically. However, is there a greater chance for tuber rot or lower flower production? Last year, I planted the same variety (Hy Suntan) in the exact same location as the previous year. I doubled the length of the row so half of the row was in 'dahlia free' soil while the other half had had tubers planted there before. (I hope that makes sense!) The portion of the row that was planted in the same location was less productive than the half planted in the new location. Thanks for any comments provided!

Comments (7)

• teddahlia
    14 years ago

Garden Valley Dahlias in Roseburg(no longer in business), Oregon rotated his dahlia crop on his farm each year. The first year he would grow them to the right of his house and the next year grow them to the left of his house. He had lots of room and I believe he planted about them in 600 foot long rows. Another factoid was that he planted them in alphabetical order. His 600 foot rows had few openings to cross over to the next row and if you visited his farm, you did a lot of walking.

If you plant dahlias in the same area each year, you should add lots of compost to keep the soil fertile. If you do that and always check for proper pH and have your soil tested periodically they will do fine in the same place.

• Poochella
    14 years ago

I cannot imagine planting alphabetically! I have enough trouble with height/color. Kudos to Garden Valley Dahlias' former owner/operator.

• ceh2101
    13 years ago

This is so funny. . . Hvander: did you make soil amendments, especially to the ph?

• hvander
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No...I didn't do anything different to the soil. It's very strange!

• flower_farmer
    13 years ago

Hi Henry,

If possible, you should be rotating your dahlia crop at least every other year. It's a good idea to put a field previously used for dahlias in a cover crop.........such as the BOP, BOP, Rye method. BOP is beans, oats, and peas. Plant BOP, let it grow, and till it in. Replant BOP, let it grow, and till it in. Then, toward the end of the season plant rye, and leave that until the following spring. At that time, till the rye. It's wonderful green manure.

Wishing you a wonderful growing season!

• hvander
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Trish. That's exactly what I was looking for! It looks like I'll have to wait until next year before I can follow your recommendation. It has been such a warm start to spring that I'm half way through planting. I'm just trying to rotate my varieties throughout my fields.
    Thanks again. Henry

• teddahlia
    13 years ago

Green manure is wonderful and a lot less expensive than animal manure or compost, if you have to go out and buy it. Home made compost is excellent and free. Animal manure is an excellent soil amendment but should not be used when fresh.
    Green manure uses legumes to incorporate nitrogen into the soil and all of the green material holds the other soil nutrients in it's leaves and roots. These nutrients could be washed away by rainfall during the winter. I use green manure, planted in the Fall and cut down in May just before I plant dahlias. Our soil has been getting better and better each year and I find I have to use less fertilizer than in years past.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting