Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mytime_gw

Sad day...

mytime
10 years ago

Today was the day I tossed the tubers that I have given up on and it was more than normal. Last summer's weather caused a lot of pencil tubers, and they were just too thin to make it.
Wynn's Sensation
Islander
Orchid Lace
Thomas Edison
I'm a Hottie
Colorado Classic
April Dawn
Megastar
There are a few more that might not make it...I see buds, but they are far behind and might not have enough oomph to survive.
Toss in the ones I lost last year, for the same reason, and I'm missing some of my favorites!
Akita
Bahama Mama
Brookside Cheri
Desert Storm
Ferncliff Cameo
Intrigue
La Bomba
Loverboy
Macalisters Pride
Myrtle's Folly
Ryn Fou
Spartacus
Tropic Sun
Twilite
Uptown Girl
Urchin
I never even got to see some of them bloom! Oh, well. So far this year is shaping up better. It's already been warmer than it ever got in May last year, so I'm hoping that our soil will be ready to plant the last few days of May, and that September doesn't leave the ground so muddy we can't really dig.
Just had to whine to someone who would understand...DH looks at the pile I tossed, and then at what I have potted and although the tossed pile is large, he thinks I have plenty in pots already!

Comments (6)

• mandolls
    9 years ago

Mytime - so sorry to hear you are tossing so many.

Are you sure they won't eye up later? I have had stragglers that finally eye up two months after most of the others are going strong. Right now I have a tray of "hopefuls" covered lightly in potting mix sitting on top of my fluorescent lights for warmth. I'm not ready to give up on them yet.

I have a few from your list, If mine weren't mostly sprouted and 3-6" tall in pots, I'd offer to send you replacements.

• mytime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mandolls, I appreciate the thought of the offer.
    It's not just lack of eyes, but tubers that dried out, too. With how they looked a month ago, I actually feel fortunate that I had as many survive as I do. And I have 2 trays of hopefuls, but they're mostly duplicates of ones that have definitely begun sprouting already.

• addicted2dahlias
    9 years ago

Mytime, I have some of the ones you're tossing and a few others that are not on your list but maybe could be used as fillers for this year. I just donated most of my extra roots to our club's sale yesterday, but remember seeing an extra or two of Thomas Edison, Colorado Classic, Bahama Mama, Myrtle's Folly, Tropic Sun, Spartacus, Hulin's Carnival (similar to Ryn Fou), and perhaps a Wyn's Sensation and Islander.

If you are interested, I can check what's left and give you a complete, more accurate list tomorrow. I am not at home tonight.

• mytime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh thank you, I absolutely love some of those....for instance, I identify with Myrtle's Folly....always looking casual and in need of some sophistication, but so what! My email is vvinette at hot mail dot com

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

this really helps with sub par tubers-might have to tweak it for alaska-i make a hot compost heap in a half wine barrel-this year i used chicken scratch and alfalfa-cover it with old potting soil-surface plant on sides lightly cover with compost and let it rip-brings back the most miserable withered winter storage damaged raggedy ass tubers

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

this really helps with sub par tubers-might have to tweak it for alaska-i make a hot compost heap in a half wine barrel-this year i used chicken scratch and alfalfa-cover it with old potting soil-surface plant on sides lightly cover with compost and let it rip-brings back the most miserable withered winter storage damaged raggedy ass tubers