Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mail order dahlia arrived today. Too early?

Posted by jsulski 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 21:53

Hello all. I bought a single dahlia last year and got hooked. This season I bought a dozen different dahlias from Breck's Nursery (internet mail order) and half of them arrived today. Although the packaging says it was shipped based on my area's planting time, we're still a month away from last frost in this area (Chicago).
When I called Breck's, they told me to keep the tubers in the plastic shipping bags and spritz the roots with water until it was time to plant.
Is that good advice??? Or is there a better plan to keep them healthy until it's time to drop them in the ground?
Any advice would be appreciated. (you folks helped me last year with my single plant, much appreciated) THANKS! Jeff Sulski

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mail order dahlia arrived today. Too early?

start them indoors and enjoy blooms earlier and for a longer time.

Here is a link that might be useful: head start for tubers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here