Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda021025

Help - didn't let cut tubers dry before planting!

Linda G (zone 6a)
16 years ago

new to wintering dahlia tubers so when I had pulled them out last fall, I left the clumps together.

I had pulled them out on Sunday to clean up the clumps, take off any broken tubers and put them in a foil pan with about 3" of dirt to see if I could make the eyes 'sprout' and cut up the clumps.

I'm just reading now that I think I should have let the cuts dry 24 hours before planting which I didn't do - I just cut and trimmed and then planted.

Help! What should I do? Leave them in the dirt since they've been in it for 48 hours, or take them out, dry them for a few days and then plant again?

Comments (3)

• Poochella
    16 years ago

I vote for leaving them in the dirt, especially if you just trimmed off some floppy tubers instead of leaving a big open slab of sliced tuber. Just don't give them too much moisture.

Did you leave the crown/stem area out so you can watch for eyes?

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, no open tubers so that makes me feel better.

Yes on leaving the crown/stem out. They are in foil roasting pans in about 3-4" of dirt.

Watching anxiously for the eyes.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

hmmmm makes me thing I haven't had nice roasted yams in a while. that is what I was reminded of when I opened my lovely order from Ferncliff. Plump and tasty yams. Now your talk about roasting pans, you're killing me man!
    Trish