Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when/how to pinch

Posted by idafrances 4 (emilydawn77@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 22:01

New dahlia gardener here! I'm starting them in pots, and they're looking quite happy.

Then I read that I should pinch off leaves? Pinch off shoots? Does anyone out there have the patience to try and explain how I should do this? Sorry...I'm sure it's very simple, but I'm afraid of hurting these guys!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when/how to pinch

If you want to encourage more side branches which will bear flowers, "top" the plant by snapping off the center of the uppermost growth at about 15" tall, or 3-4 leaf sets. It will produce a fuller plant, not shorter than it is destined to be genetically.

Just reach in with thumb and forefinger nails and snap off the center tip between two leaf nodes. This is easiest when the plant is cool and fullest of moisture: evening or early a.m. The only thing not to do is harm the little new growths on either side of your breaking point. You won't. It's easy as pie and a good way to get green thumbnails.

The link offers two very detailed methods of topping dahlias. It's a bit involved for my needs, but may be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlias.net

o
RE: when/how to pinch

I read from Swans that when the plant has about 3 to 4 set of leaves that we are supposed to cut the whole top off leaving about an inch or more and than plant and cover the whole thing.?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here