Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grey dusty mold

Posted by vikingcraftsman 6/7LINY (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 8, 09 at 22:07

Ok I am in trouble. That grey dusty mold is starting to be a real problem in my inside green house. The fish tank is still ok. Is there any cemical that will help control it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grey dusty mold

Mold is not good. Is it the furry type or more like powdery mildew. Mold likes a humid environment. I am not familiar with chemicals, but, here are some approaches I would try
- up the air circulation big time
- 5 T. baking soda to 1 gallon of water sprayed on all plants
- when practical set the plants outdoors as the sun's heat may destroy some of the spores
Cory, can you spray lysol directly on new plant growth? I think you can, but just want to be certain.
You may not be able to get rid of it completely in the greenhouse, but hopefully get it under control. Planting out next month could clear it up with the heat of the sun and spring breezes.

o
RE: grey dusty mold plus

Plus, remove and discard (in the trash) any infected plant parts.

o

o

V -
Thanks for the picture - that certainly looks like powdery mildew. I advise cutting off all infected parts and getting them as far away from your property as possible. (Don't forget to disinfect your cutting tools.) Spray all with the baking soda and water solution and keep it handy in case of future outbreaks. If it were me I would spray, spray, spray with this solution. It's not harmful to you or your plants.
Perhaps a bit later than you planned, but tubers and new growth should be okay for another glorious Dahlia season.
m_g

o

Thanks I have already applied. Lets hope this works.

o

I've never tried spraying the plant with Lysol- just the tubers. We use Garden Safe Fungicide3 in the greenhouse. It's rated for Organic Gardening. It's a fungicide, miticide & insecticide. We use as a preventative- about once a week I hold my breath, spray quickly all around the greenhouse, on the started tubers & new seedling babies & then get out! It seems to work as we've never had any insect or fungus problems in the greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here