Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too long tuber?

Posted by rolo 7 OR Coast (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 07 at 22:08

About a month ago, I boxed up some tubers in flat trays to (a) develop eyes and (b) get an early start on some sprouts. One tuber, a Cheyenne, is about a foot long and curved. It quickly developed some small purple eyes, but has done nothing since.
Should I be patient and see what happens, or whack off part of the tuber and see if that will stimulate it? Other varieties in the same tray all did well, but were smaller tubers.
Any suggestions. Thanks - rolo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too long tuber?

I whacked off my very long or large tubers, painted the wound with sulfur dust and pot them up just like that. Last year, I noticed that my dahlias with large tubers grew a lot of leaves but not as many flowers as before. I still have several more large tubers to pot up. I'll whack them all off one by one before planting. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here