Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are my dahlias still viable? Dog got to them...

Posted by northwestplanter 6 Columbia Basin WA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 22:19

i have been a member for years (over in potager gardens and houseplants), but am totally new to dahlias and I, for the first time, attempted to store some dahlia tubers this year. i stored them in moist sand in a cardboard box. over the winter we got a puppy, (bull mastiff) who thought the dahlia would be nice chew toy for her play with. I managed to get the tuber away from her quickly, but now i am wondering if it is still viable. I'm not too sure what eyes would look like forming on the tuber, but i can't see anything that looks like them. i am hoping for some of you, who are smarter than me, to help me out.

here is one of the roots. and a close up of the crown. they stayed nice and plump like this all winter, but you can see the teeth marks on them still.

photo image_zps0185ae6d.jpg

photo photo_zps31c43644.jpg
thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are my dahlias still viable? Dog got to them...

Most likely, it will be fine. As long as the eyes and neck are not damaged, the fat part of the tuber can handle a little love/abuse.

But here is the ultimate test. Leave it indoors or outdoors, even in a plastic baggy and watch for an eye to grow. Once you see either an eye bud out or a shoot appear, it will be fine. Eyes are appearing now in California so you should likely see something within weeks.

If there is no eye, it won't bloom anyway and wouldn't be the dog's fault. If it does sprout and then bloom, you will have teeth-holes in the flowers as a memento. (just kidding)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here