Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fert for cuttings in pots

Posted by linht 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 22:42

I just received my cuttings from CG today and plan to grow them in large 14 or 16 inch pots with drainage holes. I was going to just use topsoil and mix in some sand or peat moss instead of buying additional potting soil. Am I suppose to mix a fertilizer into the soil a week before? Or just plant it in the pot and fertilize with a water soluble, high N since they are cuttings instead of tubers? I emailed Kevin at CG but just wanted to know if anybody here has done cuttings in large pots and how exactly you potted and fertilized them...

Thanks!
Tracy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fert for cuttings in pots

What I understand is that fertilizer for tubers is intended to get them to root, not flower. Ergo, that is your goal too, so you should be able to follow any instructions for tubers and it will work for cuttings too. Personally, I'd opt for no fertilizer at all.

Cheers,
Russ

o
RE: fert for cuttings in pots

Thanks Russ,

I guess cuttings work a little differently. Kevin emailed me back and he said it's ok to use a 10-20-20 to mix into the soil before putting into the pots. Then fertilize with a water soluble high N&K once a week for the 1st 4 weeks. Then once a month. When buds form, switch to high P&K.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here