Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixie3379

Starting tubers indoors

dixie3379
14 years ago

This is my first year at starting Dahlias so I've been doing alot of research but I see so many conflicting ways on doing it. One of the most recommended methods is by starting them in pots with the mixture of potting soil/peat moss/manure mixed with the Terra-Sol (water retaining crystals)under the tubers with very little soil on top to get them going. I have the Terra-Sol but I'm afraid that by using that it will cause them to rot having the tubers sitting right on top of that when all other methods say to start them dry. I dont want to ruin them but it's killig me having my newley ordered ones sitting here not doing anything. Starting them indoors for me is keeping them in my insulated garage and putting them outside during the day for sun. Thanks for any help!

Comments (4)

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Well don't google Terra Sol. Even with the hyphen I couldn't easily find anything resembling water retaining crystals, but did find some nice looking resorts.

If you intend to replant the started dahlias in a garden, just take any kind of potting soil or medium, put a layer in a flat, a pot, a tupperware square. Dampen it if needed, avoiding overwetting. Lay your tubers on the surface, cover their fat parts with another layer of medium and leave the heads/necks out to get the light. That ought to get them started: shoots and roots both. Moisten very modestly, if bone dry. You'll be able to plant outside in no time at all.

The only time I've used moisture crystals was when growing a dahlia in a large pot all season. They need the extra moisture retention, but a garden plant doesn't.

• rachealluvsflowers
    14 years ago

I just put mine right in the ground and they take off. I have done this in April for the last two years. I have flowers right up until I have to dig them up and put them away for the winter!

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Racheal: when do they start blooming for you?

Where are you exactly?

I would love to plant them in the ground in April but isn't the soil to cool.. or frosts?

Let me know : )

Keriann~

• homemommy
    14 years ago

I don't think in my zone I would be confident putting them in the ground yet, not until Mid May. A Dahlia grower in my neighoburhoood told me not until June!! I am just outside of Toronto, straddling a Zone 5/6.

I potted mine up early. I layed the tubers on top of some soil in flats, just like they show on dahilas.net. They did great!! They eyed up, and then sprouted, you can take sprout cuttings too if they throw off more then one shoot. that is really fun, and will get you more plants! However, I had mine in flats since February, and needed to get them into a little deeper soil, so I have them potted up in the pots that are a size down from 1 gallon. I water them very rarely, only when the leaves start to droop, and I water from bottom up, to make sure the soil is saturated when I do.

If they are going out into containers, the main thing will be to make sure it does not drop below freezing overnight. If they are going into the ground though, you will have to wait a few weeks I figure to actually plant outside.