Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracytemp_gw

Pls help w/ planting Dahlias in containers (lots)

tracytemp
17 years ago

Thanks in advance for your input and please forgive such a long post. This is my first attempt at this & I really don't want to mess up. A friend from up North gave me 14 different Dahlias and I live right in the middle of a deer path with not a whole lot of places in the sun to plant! Tenting off an area is not really possible. I have decided to plant my dahlias in containers but I am a bit overwhelmed at the thought of so many. Do I have to plant just one in each container?

I truly have no clue! I currently have 2 large 18x19" pots and 2 tapered 17" and 1large 22x19 and could get several whiskey barrels.

I just opened the box now to find some of them are sprouting!! What to do??

Heres what I have with their descriptions:

1- VERA SEYFANG (AAFD) Introduced in 1958. 12" blooms are of a rich orchid pink. Very sturdy plant with excellent foliage. Great stems for such a large variety. Bush height 3'. Late bloomer.

----------

2- CRAZY LEGS: Introduced in 1990. 3" blooms of burnt apricot with red reverse. Strong stems are well proportioned on the 4' bush. The foliage is outstanding. Prolific bloomer

----------

3- POPPERS (BBSC) Introduced in 2001. This variety is a sport from the variety Mary Lee McNall. The 4' bush has the lush, lacy foliage and good stem producing plant. The 5" blooms are a golden yellow splashed with red.

----------

4- BABYLON BRONZE Golden orange. Truly as big as a dinner plate, these specially selected prize-winning size dahlias are the most spectacular. Large No.1 size clumps

----------

5- WOWIE (CO) Introduced in 1998. bright 3 1/2" blooms of brilliant orange red with a starkly contrasting white collar. Holds extremely well among the collarettes as a cutflower. Bush height of 3 1/2'

----------

6- ANGEL'S DUST (MWL) Introduced in 1997. These 4" white blossoms are ever so lightly blushed with lavender. A vigorous grower of 5' produces many long stems for cutting.

----------

7- GONZO GRAPE (MFD) Introduced in 2000. Deliciously rich, deep purple 3" blooms are so bright they look good enough to eat! Profuse bloomer on a lush green bush of 4' with wonderful long stems for cutting. Recommended as a cut flower.

----------

8- OREGON REIGN (AID) Introduced in 2000. The 9" ruffled blooms are a lovely blue toned lavender, and were a big hit with visitors to our gardens. Strong, sturdy plant of 4 1/2' with very nice foliage and darker green stems make this an attractive addition to the garden as well.

9- GOLDEN EGG (MWL) Introduced in 1980. 3" gold waterlily on good stiff stems. The 4' bush is covered with blooms all season. A much admired flower at our fall show.

----------

10- VICTORIA ANN (BBID) Introduced in 2003. The 6" blooms are white with lavender outlines on the petals, and the back rows of petals a pure lavender. Excellent stem length for cutting on a 5 1/2' bush.

----------

11- CORNEL (MBA) Introduced in 1982. This variety is a "MUST HAVE" for those who exhibit. Blooms are 3 1/2" of dark red that grow on strong, straight stems. Very showy variety on the bush and nice in the garden too. Plant height grows to 4'.

----------

12- BLUE BELL

Purple-blue Decorative Dahlia on the market! Its 4" flowers are borne on 2 1/2-3' stems. Summer and fall flowering. No. 1 size clumps.

----------

13- POWDER-PUFF DAHLIA LAMBADA

Soft rose petals, creamy white center with deep rose heart. New class of dahlias produces flowers that are as large as the Giant Decorative and in a few varieties almost as big as Dinner Plate Dahlias. Large No.1 size clumps

----------

14- (3 of these) PINWHEEL DAHLIA MIX Decorative Dahlias in fuchsia, violet rose, lemon yellow and scarlet red, all with white tips.

----------

I realize this is a lot to ask but I really want to do it right and have these beauties last! What should I do? and How? Time is of the essence for me with this project..:)

Your suggestion and instructions are very important.

I can be reached at tracytemp at yahoo dot com.

THANKS!

Comments (4)

• Poochella
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, what you should do is introduce me to your friend! You have some really nice varieties there and what wonderful descriptions he/she gave you.

Here(at the link)is the best info on planting in pots I've found and am following it to a T right now for the first time. Read it, think about what soil you have available. Use well drained potting mix and try to avoid a high peat content which is tough to water. Get Soil Moist or a similar product to reduce watering needs. Get stakes (I'm using rebar to take up less space.) The pots I'm using are about 4 gallons? ~15" across by ~12" deep and will use whiskey barrels as well. Make sure you have good drainage holes either existing in the pots or drill some. If your pots are ceramic, I guess go with the usual rocks in the bottom for drainage. You'll need someway for excess water to pass OUT.

Protect from slugs if you have them. You'll be happy to hear that I've had deer 3 ft away from my garden dahlias munching down raspberries and blueberry bushes while not touching one dahlia leaf. Ditto in the perennial bed: mowed down my phlox and glads, left the adjacent dahlias untouched. So the deer trail might not be a factor to worry about as far as eating goes: trampling maybe!

Good luck, I'll copy this to your email address.

• tracytemp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank You! I read the article and it was a bit overwhelming in that I guess I need to plant individual pots. Do you hink it would be ok just to put the tuber down 6" if it is already starting to sprout?
    You are the first person to tell me deer have not touched your dahlia. Maybe deer out west and those here have different appetites:)...they probably do!
    Would you put more than one plant in a whiskey barrel?

• Poochella
    17 years ago

Yes you can put your tubers 6 inches down, but you might want to just add more soil as it grows so it doesn't have to struggle so much to break through.

Yes, one per pot. Most of the taller dahlias are bushy. I fully expect them to take up the entire pot or whiskey barrel if they grow as in the ground. The only one you might try extras of in a whiskey barrel would be the 2.5-3 footer "Blue Bell." (I'm assuming that's plant height, not stem length. The description is a little misleading.)

I was pleasantly surprised about the deer leaving the dahlias alone too! They sure ravaged many other things for the first time in 15 years though. Guess I should start discouraging them early this year.

Good luck with your planting.

• cherylinif_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I was intereste in your post. I love Dahlias I was wondering how yours turned out if you planted them in pots.
    I would be interested in talking to you if you would like. my phone number is
    1 208 523 8476
    thanks Cheyrl