Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh dear, now what? Newbie...

Posted by disneyhorse none (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 0:35

Last year I bought a bunch of tubers from pompon to dinner plate and grew in 12" pots. They were pretty.
I decided to dig them up, there were HUGE clumps of tubers! I put them in a bag in a shed and forgot about them till now.
The only clump I remembered to ID was bodacious, but the clump rotted.
My sister wants some so I started to divide the masses with the eyes, but I stopped because I'm not sure if I can divide them so close to planting? Do the new cuts have to "cure" or "heal" before planting?
They are sprouting so I think they need to be planted soon.
I'm in southern CA...
I'd appreciate any help. I just don't want to plant huge clumps because the tiny tubers I originally had filled the whole pots by fall!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh dear, now what? Newbie...

Go ahead and divide them. If you are not planting them into really wet soil then dont worry about letting them "cure".

Hard to believe you grew "dinner plates" in 12" pots! I would think they would need a 5 gallon bucket if they aren't going into the ground. They are usually at least 5' tall.

o
RE: Oh dear, now what? Newbie...

They had tomato cages and fertilizer and bloomed pretty well. I just didn't have a good place in the ground for them. The bodacious one was amazing... I might have to get another one! Thanks for the reply.
I have we'll draining soil... I remember I watered once and waited to see sprouts before I watered again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here