Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fat_kitty

Do I need to dig up tubers in winter in So. Cal?

fat_kitty
15 years ago

Hi, Dahlia-lovers. I am curious about growing them in Los Angeles. From what I've read, you're supposed to dig up the tubers in the fall and replant in the spring. Is that only necessary where the ground freezes? Since the ground does not freeze where I live, can I just leave them in the ground all year and will they come back in the spring? I realize that it would be good to dig up every few years, to divide, but otherwise....?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (4)

• triple_b
    15 years ago

only where the ground freezes. If you are in for some freak weather you can always pile a bunch of mulch on top for protection. Or if the plant is up already put a bucket over it and a blanket on top of that for coziness.

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

Nope, you can just plant them and forget about lifting them or mulching them or anything. I live in Fresno z9b (LA is zone 10a- 10b) so im a tad bit cooler in the winter time and i never lift or mulch dahlias. Do you remember the freeze we had in Jan 2007? We got down to the low 20s for a whole week here in Fresno, and there was frost in areas of SoCal that never experience frost. Even then, i did not even mulch the dahlias and they came back like they do every year. Here are some mini dahlias that come back every year. These are the first blooms of the season. I took these pics today:

{{gwi:58656}}
    {{gwi:494387}}
    {{gwi:494389}}

• fat_kitty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, great pics. Thanks to both of you for your help!

• triple_b
    15 years ago

I stand corrected. :o)