Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need to dig up tubers in winter in So. Cal?

Posted by fat_kitty Z10 (So. Cal.) (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 1:39

Hi, Dahlia-lovers. I am curious about growing them in Los Angeles. From what I've read, you're supposed to dig up the tubers in the fall and replant in the spring. Is that only necessary where the ground freezes? Since the ground does not freeze where I live, can I just leave them in the ground all year and will they come back in the spring? I realize that it would be good to dig up every few years, to divide, but otherwise....?

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need to dig up tubers in winter in So. Cal?

only where the ground freezes. If you are in for some freak weather you can always pile a bunch of mulch on top for protection. Or if the plant is up already put a bucket over it and a blanket on top of that for coziness.

o

Nope, you can just plant them and forget about lifting them or mulching them or anything. I live in Fresno z9b (LA is zone 10a- 10b) so im a tad bit cooler in the winter time and i never lift or mulch dahlias. Do you remember the freeze we had in Jan 2007? We got down to the low 20s for a whole week here in Fresno, and there was frost in areas of SoCal that never experience frost. Even then, i did not even mulch the dahlias and they came back like they do every year. Here are some mini dahlias that come back every year. These are the first blooms of the season. I took these pics today:

o

Wow, great pics. Thanks to both of you for your help!

o

I stand corrected. :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here