Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

it`s a virus?

linaria_gw
10 years ago

Hi there,
after much searching I got hold of 3 tubers of Harriet G, potted them up, waited. And, oh my, it looks, like 2 have a virus. I guess it`s not the feeding, as the other 4 bulbs in the same medium look ok. And probably not the horrible cold as about 30 more potted Dahlias grow slowly but with evenly green foliage.

So, my question, does it look 100% like virused? SHould I wait to some point to make sure? Am tossed and torn, this is such a gorgeous cultivar, but I dont want to risk the others to get infected (sigh).

Well, thanks, bye, Lin

Comments (3)

• Noni Morrison
    10 years ago

It sure looks virused to me. I would eliminate it.

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi lizalily,
    Thanks for confirming my guess, bugger, but at least chucking is easier now with the tubers still sitting in a container. And with all this horrible cold wet weather I haven't seen a single aphid/ blackfly yet, so probably no spreading of those viruses.
    Well, better luck next time, bye Lin

• Noni Morrison
    10 years ago

It always hurts to throw away a dahlia you were ready to love. If there is just a subtle sign of virus I would feed it up and try to get it to be healthy enough to over come it, but since I often sell my extra tubers I want to make sure I am not passing on virused stock. I would try to obtain that one from a different supplier if they can not provide you with a healthier one where you bought it.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living