Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Thank you all - but ouch!

mandolls
13 years ago

I just wanted to thank the regulars in this forum for sharing their experiences and expertise.

I planted my first dahlias 4 years ago, I think 5 or 6. I didn't over winter them correctly and had dried up little bits the following spring, 2 of which ended up sprouting anyway. I bought a few more and tried again - same thing happened. It didn't stop me, I bought more varieties and had 10 gorgeous plants blooming.

Last year, thanks to this forum, I learned how to divide them and store them (sulfur/saran method). This spring, I had 35 viable tubers sending out sprouts in April (which is way to early to plant in my area). I planted up about two thirds of them in large plastic pots I had laying around. (I ran out of pots)

I spent three days last week digging in an expanded bed, triple the size that I had last year. Yesterday I planted 35 dahlias, 20 of them already 6-12 inches tall, 60 glads, 30 peacock orchids, and another 50 or so assorted summer bulbs.

I am hoping that with the jump start of the early potting, I will have blooms in late June- early July this year, and I know that the house and garden will be full of flowers late summer - but OUCH! Today I was so sore it hurt to get out of bed and I am covered with chigger and mosquito bites! Still I know it was worth it. - Thanks

Comments (2)