Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thank you all - but ouch!

Posted by mandolls 4 WI (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 7:46

I just wanted to thank the regulars in this forum for sharing their experiences and expertise.

I planted my first dahlias 4 years ago, I think 5 or 6. I didn't over winter them correctly and had dried up little bits the following spring, 2 of which ended up sprouting anyway. I bought a few more and tried again - same thing happened. It didn't stop me, I bought more varieties and had 10 gorgeous plants blooming.

Last year, thanks to this forum, I learned how to divide them and store them (sulfur/saran method). This spring, I had 35 viable tubers sending out sprouts in April (which is way to early to plant in my area). I planted up about two thirds of them in large plastic pots I had laying around. (I ran out of pots)

I spent three days last week digging in an expanded bed, triple the size that I had last year. Yesterday I planted 35 dahlias, 20 of them already 6-12 inches tall, 60 glads, 30 peacock orchids, and another 50 or so assorted summer bulbs.

I am hoping that with the jump start of the early potting, I will have blooms in late June- early July this year, and I know that the house and garden will be full of flowers late summer - but OUCH! Today I was so sore it hurt to get out of bed and I am covered with chigger and mosquito bites! Still I know it was worth it. - Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thank you all - but ouch!

Good for you, mandolls. You'll forget all about the aches and bites in a few weeks. Then your eyeballs will hurt! I can always tell it's dahlia season here when the bug bites arrive and those 'shovel' muscles come to life again.

o
RE: Thank you all - but ouch!

Many years ago while living in Wisconsin I, too, grew Dahlias. It was a heart breaking experience. Every time I thought I was safe to put my Dahlias in the ground, the Wisconsin weather had a surprise for me!!!

In 2007 we moved to southern Missouri. With just two months of mild winter weather, I'm ready to start gardening in March and can expect things to bloom into December. Some pansies bloom all winter long, even if we get a light snow.

I've started a Dahlia bed from seed, sowing directly into the ground in early May. I've also planted some "ready to grow" tubers in my beds out front. I'm pleased to say my seedlings are about six inches tall and doing well. I'll need to transplant some to thin out the pack.

At almost 69, gardening is not as easy as it used to be. I keep a cushion, and sit on an overturned bucket whenever I can. And with temps in the 80s for weeks already I do things a little at a time.

In the end, it's all worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Folder on Facebook

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here