Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy51274

To Water or Not to Water Newly Planted Tubers

christy51274
9 years ago

I'm fairly new when it comes to gardening and recently purchased some Dahlia Dinner Plate tubers. I'd like to start them off in containers (and may ultimately decide to keep them there), but am not sure as to whether I should water them upon planting. I've been doing some research online and I've read, yes, they need watering at planting time and others say "no" in order to prevent root rot. I'm completely baffled..

Also, one gardener says to even soak the tuber for 24 hours prior to planting.. Has anyone ever heard of this? Could this possibly lead to root rot?

One more thing...

If I plant the tuber now (mid May) and providing they receive all the sun, nutrients and care needed, when should I expect my first blooms, approximately?

Thanks. :)

Comments (3)

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Christy,
    Soaking tubers: IME that's old but bad gardener yarn or rumor. Lots of folks do it, but I guess it does more harm than help.

Starting in containers:
    You should use some potting soil/ substrate not just fill them with garden doil.

Do you have heavy or sandy soil?

I am in my second season starting Dahlias indoors in pots. Have to admit that I killed several by watering too much, did not check the soil properly before watering them as I tended to be in a hurry.

One I rescued just in time, cut off one rotting tuber from the small clump, repotted in soilless mix, just slightly damp and waited.

I kept checking and finally new lovely white roots emerged.

Cant remember exactly first blooms, I guess after planting tubers in mid May first flowers could start at mid/ late July
    (DH's birthday is at the beginning of July, and when planting tubers, the only thing flowering were patio types on the balcony)
    Bye, Lin

• davidinsf
    9 years ago

Hi Christy:

I know others will chip in with advice about watering - I personally water the soil on top very lightly if a new tuber - but most experts say you shouldn't or don't need to until they are at least 6 inches grown.

What I will comment on is that you are about to enter the wacky world of dahlias - where sometimes up is down and vice-versa. IMO, dahlias have a mind of their own. I take notes every year and last year my notes say my 'B-Man lookalike' (don't know the real name) gave me a first bloom in late June. This year, it has already bloomed in early May.

Most growers will tell you that early bloomers will bloom within 90 days, regular dahlias 105 and late bloomers 120 days. I have rarely found that to be true. Too many variables - amount of sun, how much you did or didn't water them, how good the soil is, whether snails get their feed bags on and destroy the tender shoots, whether you fertilize them and how often, etc, etc. Overall however, the 90-120 rule is close enough.

I love my dahlias but they are fickle. Best thing is to just do the best you can getting them going and then they pretty much do whatever they want from there on. Of course I leave my in ground year round so I don't go thru the digging, storing and re-potting every year.

Good luck.

• mandolls
    9 years ago

Planting them in pots is different from planting in the ground. Either way the tubers need moisture in order to develop, but too much is a problem. Pots dry out fairly quickly, so definitely need to be watered. I pre-wet my potting mix, so that it is damp but not soggy, before I pop in the tuber, then let it dry out pretty good before watering it again. A potting mix with good drainage is a plus.

If you are going to leave them in pots, they better be damn big pots (minimum 5 gallon). most "dinner plates" grow 5-6 ft tall. It would be better to start them in smaller pots, as they will drain/dry out faster than a huge pot with only a tuber in it. I start mine in 4" pots, but then plant them in the ground.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?