Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 6 Frost Last Night

Posted by kateee none (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 9:11

We had a frost in zone 6 last night...I didn't have a chance to cover my Dahlia's that are planted in the ground, or cover my tomato's...the Dahlia's are up 4 inches...do you think the frost may kill them? Thanks in advance....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 6 Frost Last Night

Well, they are tender. If you got only partial damage, you could cut off the mushy leaves. If you got full out damage, I would dig them up and cut the growth off about 1 cm from the tuber. You'll have to start all over, but they should grow.

o

I disagree with the need to dig them up -- what would that do but set them back.

Frost isn't a big deal at all - if the top dies off, more will grow. In essence, it is the equivalent of a hard pinch or cutback at this time.

When I worked at the garden center, the first crop of Dutch dahlias would be cut completely back when too big and floppy, and would regrow and be ready to put out for sale in about 4 weeks.

Personally, I think cutting back or pinching helps them to be a little less tall and floppy. Depends on the kind, of course, some of the tall dinnerplate types won't throw many side shoots no matter what you do.

o

My Dahlia's made it...the frost was a heavy one, and it amazed me that no damage was done to any of the plants...thank you both for your response...I deeply appreciate it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here