Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ordering tubers?

Posted by ceresone missouri ozarks (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 9:15

What size tuber do you get? I ordered from a Dahlia "farm" and got 4 small ones about the size of my thumb-only one had eyes I could see. I ordered from a seed catalog--and got what I would call a large "hand" or "clump" of each kind. I planted both, and so far, there is no growth on the small ones, while the others are up fine.
do you think I should complain--or is this normal when ordering from a "speciality place"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ordering tubers?

I'm hardly an expert to answer this; but from what I have found out "size doesn't matter." Each variety produces different size tubers and it has nothing to do with the quality or size of the plant. I ordered from one place this year and got some tubers the size of my fist; and others the size of a pencil. As long as they have an eye; they'll take off. Others...correct me if I'm wrong.

o

I agree with the above statement.

I have seen no difference in the size of the tubers (between the same varieties) and the size of the plant or quality of it. I have found the 'bulk' tubers that are pretty banged up actually can be seperated 3-6 times. So they send 3 clumps and I end up planting 8-12 seperate plants! They are pretty ratty looking but well worth a little nursing back to health.

Keriann~

o

Tuber sizes vary so from variety to variety: long and thin, fat like baking potatoes, short round, etc etc. I agree with the above too, and emphasize that any tubers you buy should have eyes if given time for them to pop. If they fail to show up, then it's time to contact the seller. Hopefully, they'll be accommodating.

Last year, as I pulled tomato seedlings sprung from the compost in the garden, I tugged up this little sprout, clearly a dahlia, which had apparently fallen from a parent clump during planting. It went on to grow to full size and even bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here