Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

Intensive spacing?

steve22802
11 years ago

I usually give each of my dahlias about a 2 foot x 2 foot space to grow in but I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with a more intensive spacing? I'm particularly interested in growing them for cutting so I'm imagining them planted more closely together and pinched hard so that they put out lots of thinned stemmed flowers. Long thin stems would be even better.

- Steve

Comments (3)

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

Ideally I would like to give mine 2' but in reality it usually gets down to about 16-18" by about 2' I turn out oddles of cut flowers from them. The big show dahlias definitely wouldn't like it, but for cut flowers it is just fine. And yes, do pinch them to increase the number of stems and feed them well.

• steve22802
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience LizaLily. Most of my beds are 4 feet wide so I normally just have two rows of dahlias. I believe I'll try one bed with three rows spaced 16 inches on center and pinched hard.

• pdshop
    11 years ago

Lizalily,
    What do you feed them? I am in CO. and have clay soil. Put in grow beds with good soil but wonder what to fertilize with here in Denver. Last summer my garden was in MA.