Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdshop

adding Nitrogen?

pdshop
15 years ago

I just did a soil test as I noticed one of the dahlias has leaves that look like they are lacking Nitrogen. What should I use? After all this effort, I don't need yellow leaves and weak plants?

Comments (17)

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Try a tomato spike or two. They got mine going well last spring.

• pdshop
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I should have waited for your answer Poochella but I went right to Agway and got a Nitrogen suppliment. I hope it wasn't too much? Too late now as it was watered in. I am very impulsive and hate to wait for help. The test showed no N though and they are raised beds. I will remember the tomato stake when I test the other gardens.

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

pdshop,

What are you using to test? I've never tested my soil.

Cheers,
    Russ

• pdshop
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I used Rapitest Soil Tester. They have kits at all garden centers.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

Poochella, perhaps it was you a couple years ago that mentioned tomato spikes as dahlia food. I bought some and used them and my dahlias went gangbusters. This year I am doing it again. I even pass on that bit of information to others. Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daughter #2 with Moonlight Sonata

• pdshop
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think I can use the spikes now after putting all that N in? Leaves are starting to come through on some of the others. I plant too deep also. The soil is so loose that they end up deeper than I would like. Hope it all works out. We spend all winter talking and than hope for good results!

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Pd, what was the content of the nitrogen you added? I've used as high as 19 and had pretty tall green plants but still plenty of flowers. These tubers and plants are tough- you have to be up against very harsh conditions or disease to take them out. Remember the tuber I cast aside against the garage foundation for all the cold winter, it sprouted and was over a foot tall and healthy after having no soil, no water, no nothin' until Mid June when I found it! Planted it and it went on to become a glorious dahlia without skipping a beat.

Tripleb, I learned about the tomato spikes from someone right here; maybe linnea? They need to be replaced though at a few weeks' interval, or so it said on the package. I was not very good at keeping track of which dahlias got new spikes when. They did get the plants off to a good start.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

yes every two months or so it says. My 'maters are enjoying them too. :o)

• pdshop
    Original Author
    15 years ago

do you add 2 spikes for each plant?

• Poochella
    15 years ago

I added two spikes per plant, and I bet it was Triple b whose lead I followed. They worked great.

• pdshop
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I added a totle of 10 pounds os Aluminum Sulfate for about a 1000 ft space. Am I bad?

• triple_b
    15 years ago

I don't even know who mentioned it. Linnea? I have only known about them myself for the last two years and I got the idea from someone on the dahlia forum. Well whoever it is, I tip my gardening hat to you. :o)

• LindaMA
    15 years ago

I ordered some Jobe's Tomato Spikes on Amazon.com, is it too late to put them in the ground now around my dahlias?

Linda

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Not too late. Follow the directions and you're on your way. Amazon sells everything these days!

• triple_b
    15 years ago

Every two months during the growing season. Enjoy! (wonder if we should tell Jobe's about this? Nah, they may increase the price.)

• sankri
    15 years ago

Greetings to all,
    I am from Malaysia and could not find the 'tomato spike' for my dahlia.... Is there anything else I can use....
    Thank you

• triple_b
    15 years ago

anything formulated for tomatoes?

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor