Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias Came Up In Horrible Dirt...What Now?

Posted by homersgarden 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 08 at 13:30

I planted some dahlias last spring. I ammended the soil a little. They came up and were spindley and pathetic. I never dug them up because I figured they wouldn't make it through the winter. Well, yesterday I was cleaning up the yard an alas they came up. What can I do at this point to help make them be more successful?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias Came Up In Horrible Dirt...What Now?

top dress with good stuff and then water it in. The nutrients will leach down.
I also like Jobe's tomato food spikes. Dahlias love it. Easy to use, doesn't overfeed as it breaks down slowly.
Other more knowledgable folks than myself will have a better idea as to what to top dress WITH, though finished compost is usually a good place to start.

o

Yep..what he said about compost..add 3" of compost in a 12" dia. or just fill the entire area. They will love it and grow very strong.

I save my leafs every fall and import and neighbors bags that are easy to move. I had a pile 4ft. high by 6 ft. in dia. It will not be enough as it breaks down and disappears by summers end. But the difference of plants with compost top dressing versus the pkants in bare dirt is amazing.

Maybe a test is in order for you to learn from? Compost some and not the others? The results will be apparent by late July.

I would avoid the cheap compost available at the big hardware stores. Find a local nursery that sells the "black gold". They usually make it themselves.

CrAzY LaRrY

o

Dig the thing out of the crappy soil, then dig a hole 2' wide and 1' deep where you want to plant them. Put decent soil in the hole, and put the tuber (and sprout) back in.

IMO, nothing can be done in any other way if the plant grows spindly and pathetic. Put as many chemicals into clay as you want and it will still be clay, and won't drain properly, and therefore won't service the Dahlia well. Not saying you have clay, but whatever you do have isn't suitable for Dahlias. So change it.

Cheers,
Russ

o

Hey Larry, guess what? Triple_b is a SHE!!
How do ya do?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here