Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It is waaaaay too early to plant in Massachusetts, right?

Posted by dahlialove 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 14:44

I mean especially since it is going to be cloudy with a 30-50% chance of rain for 5 days after tomorrow? I feel like the chance of frost is gone (did I just jinx all of us?), but is it bad to plant before several days of cloud cover/possible rain? Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, 70 degrees, and ideal for planting. Our beds are all set to go!

I just remember planting in May once and meeting a member of our local dahlia society and her looking at me like I had 2 heads when I told her I had already planted.

Anyone have any idea how bad this might or might not be? My house is looking a little more cluttered than I like with over 4o dahlia plants scattered throughout. I guess it isn't that big of a deal to wait, but to be honest they are getting a little on the larger side and starting to not look very happy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It is waaaaay too early to plant in Massachusetts, right?

I've had them out for a couple of weeks.

o

If your plants are already growing in the house, the rain will not hurt them if you plant them now. You just don't want tubers that are not actively growing to be rained on a lot because it could rot them. I think the cloud cover would be good for them because it would give them a chance to get used to being outside without the leaves getting sunburned.

o

If you are having the warm spring that the rest of the country is, I would think you could go ahead and plant. I usually wait until june 1st, but even here in WI spring is early early. I will get mine out as soon as I find the time to do it.

o
Planted them!

We planted about 35 plants. So far so good. We had one casualty (brushstrokes, so sad, this was a new tuber for us!!!!) with a soaker hose moving and breaking the stalk from the tuber. We are hoping for it to grow a new stalk.... Thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully everything will continue on and remain healthy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here