Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Droopy bottom leaves

Posted by misslucinda 6a New York (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 15:16

Hey-

I started a few of my dahlias early and the biggest and the brightest, about 12" of leaves when I planted, now has droopy lower leaves.

The plant seemed not totally pressed into the soil so I am suspecting mole/vole or critter. Others, just sprouting but one bed away have not been "etten". Am watering stressed plant now. Shall I transplant to a different area?

Thanks,

ML

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Droopy bottom leaves

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 07 at 8:52

They want to be well drained, but at the same time like to be watered.

I have found all kinds of critters like to chew on them. I had a lovely shot of a squirrel eating the lower leaves of my dahlia right on my deck right in front of me. That being said, put it back and let it grow.

I find that the bottom leaves often droop. I actually usually trim off the bottom 4 inches of leaves ( once the plant is big enough) so that I get better air circulation and prevent mold on the lower leaves.

o
RE: Droopy bottom leaves

Hi jroot-

Thanks for responding. I read a posting where you told someone you cut the bottom leaves off for better air circulation and to prevent mold---and frankly, after I saw that, I did the same and trimmed.

But the fact that "lower leaves often wilt" is news to me and certainly nothing I noticed last year... If the top 2/3rds of the plant weren't doing so well I would be tempted to pull it up and see whats going on with the tuber itself--The fact that I started it in regular potting soil and had to water fairly frequently, makes me wonder if I have some tuber rot going on---

Anyway, about those squirrels, there may be 8 million people in the naked city, but there's 8 million critters out here...and I am sure out where you are.

Hope you've started planting.

Patricia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here