Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mytime_gw

There's a Rock Star in my house

mytime
11 years ago

Rock Star has been blooming for a couple of weeks so far. This image doesn't really show off it's depth of color, but it does show that it blooms well indoors! Myrtle's Folly is opening now, too. Hopefully I can get most of the dahlias moved to the greenhouse today.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:640512}}

Comments (7)

• vivionion
    11 years ago

very beautiful!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    11 years ago

I am jealous! I wish there was a rock star in my house! Seriously I do! I don't have any dahlias anywhere close to blooming. When did you start them? I started planting some in the ground last night since the weather has been really warm lately (up to 89 degrees today) and looks to stay warm from now on. Most of mine are only about 8-10 inches tall. Hopefully they will really take off now that they are planted. When do you plant yours in the ground?

Linda

• mytime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was starting them the first week of March by the latest. It wasn't what I wanted to do, and seriously they are tooooo big now. It's going to be difficult to transplant them, and I have at least another week to wait, if not more. I haven't even gotten the taller ones out to harden off...it's just been too windy. I thought today was safe for the shorter ones, but while I was working in the greenhouse the wind came off and really whipped them around. Hopefully they all perk back up.

• vikingcraftsman
    11 years ago

I have all of mine out side and most in their summer homes. But only CHILSON�S PRIDE and GRAND FINALE have broken the soil. The ones I started in the house are big now, but no where near blooming.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Mytime - what kind of lighting do you use for your dahlias inside? I have had most of mine just on a window sill, where they are obviously not getting enough light - ie: tall thin spindly stalks. I plan on cutting them down when I plant them out, but I am thinking I need to have a real lighting system if I am going to get them out a month before they go into the ground. Right now all of my fluorescent shop lights are being used for seedlings.

• mytime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have too many for me to use any artificial lighting, so they just go into my west and south windows. Actually, this year some had to go into the northwest window, too. I find it depends on the variety whether or not it needs more light. A couple of my cactus that I grew from seed and keep the tubers of are waaay to tall; I was just trying to decide this am if I should cut them back or not--I should, but I decided instead to stake really well and enjoy blooms! The varieties in the nw window are actually not leggy at all. I am blessed with great light in the spring, and windows to take advantage of it.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Thanks for the response - What seems so weird to me is that I have about a dozen tubers that I didnt pot up - they were extras or hadnt eyed up yet. THey have just been sitting in baggies with a little potting mix, on my desk in my work shop. They are looking incredibly healthy. only 6" sprouts, but sturdier and greener leaves than the ones I potted up and put in the window. There is a fluorescent light above the desk, but at least 5 feet away. I definitely need to make some changes in how I do this next year.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor