Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
buds ok-looking? (pic)

Posted by linaria 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 16:32

Hi there,
I`d like a comment on those Dahlia buds. It is a newly bought Taratahi Ruby, ordered from a grower. I dont have too much experience with tubers. I am slightly concerned by the cluster formed by those buds. The tuber was in a parcel. So I wonder whether this is just due to some bumping and rougher handling which probably caused earlier buds to break off or an early sign of disease? Thanks for hints,

bye, Lin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: buds ok-looking? (pic)

I think it is just scabbing over from broken sprouts. The smaller ones will grow. It sure doesnt look like any type of rot that I have seen.

o

Tubers quite often sprout while in storage. Most vendors cut off the sprout before shipping. They do this because the sprout will often fall off during shipping. When this happens, customers get worried that the tuber is now dead and contact the vendor for new one. Dahlias almost always sprout again from the same eye or another eye and this is a good picture of that process.

o

Thanks for your helpful answers.
I guess I am slightly paranoid because I kind of started a collection this season (picked about 20 new cultivars which is a big leap for me) and I was just worried that this wasn`t an early stage of crown gall or something nasty.

And yes, it did sprout, I marked the pott and it sent up two nice shoots.

So a great Dahlia season to you, bye, Lin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here