Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias look wilted in the sun ?

Posted by mandolls 4 WI (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 18:31

I noticed this last year from a few of my Dahlias, but this year the leaves all look "wilted" during the heat of the day. They are planted in good sandy soil, topped with a few inches of composted cow manure, and the soil is plenty damp underneath. As soon as the sun passes they spring back to a livelier appearance.

Is this common? Its not even June yet, so the real heat of summer is yet to come. I started them in pots inside this year, but they have been outside for over two weeks now, so I don't think it is about adjusting to the outdoor conditions.

Should I be concerned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Dahlias look wilted in the sun ?

I don't think you should be concerned, but you might want to cover each of them with a large plastic pot--upside down of course, during the day when the sun is beating down on the plants. Take the pots off when the sun no longer is shining on the plants, and be sure to keep them damp. Night dampness is excellent. If it is raining, be sure the plants are uncovered--the rain will do them wonders. Keep this up for about 7 days, but keep your eyes on the plants, and if they wilt again, keep up the procedure for another week or so. Persevere, you will win in the long run. Happy Gardening. I wish you success.

o
RE: Dahlias look wilted in the sun ?

This is my two cents on this.

I live in 5B and I transplanted them about two weeks ago as well.

Every year they wilt for 1-3 weeks depending on the weather. I think this is the most critical time for them. I keep the soil moist the first 3-7 days after transplanting and then I ONLY water once a week (if no rain) or when the top 4" of soil is dry. I want the dahlias roots to go deeper and look for water. I have found if I water every night or every 2 nights the roots stay very shallow and need water all summer (not fun!). Wilting is a natural thing plants do to conserve moisture or in-fact slow water intake. Many people water when they see their plants wilting in moist soil and that can lead to bigger problems like blight and rotting tubers/plants. If your plants pop back up at night they are doing fine, they are just conserving their energy/water and sending feeder roots out.

Keriann~

o

Right - I wouldn't worry about them at all. On those first warm sunny days - everything in my borders wilt including the perennials. It's normal and by nightfall they perk back up. As long as you have had them out and hardened them off reasonably before planting, I think they are fine.

o

Thanks for the input. Since I have some tubers in the same bed I want to refrain from watering as much as possible until those show.I have been getting similar mid-day wilting on a few of my perennials. Our weather has been crazy warm for this part of the country. This is the weekend that many people around here traditionally put out annuals, but we have already had many days in the 80's and 90's. I am expecting a bumper crop this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here