Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babbobubba_gw

dahlia imperialis

babbobubba
9 years ago

Neighbors, I would love to have some cuttings of a purple dahlia imperialis. I'm new here, and I don't know things work, but I'd be happy to pay in cash. As for trading, I think all I can offer at the moment are some hedychium tubers.

Comments (6)

• teddahlia
    9 years ago

Very few dahlia enthusiasts grow Imperialis. It is very tall and can reach 20 feet. It is very late blooming and in most of the USA it will not bloom or will do so just minutes before a killing frost. It is a different species of dahlia and will not cross with our dahlia variablis. The tubers of Imperialis can be 3 feet long and unlike variablis, it can be grown easily from an inter node on the stem instead of a tuber.

• Rachel Cross- Harder
    6 years ago

Hey elsedgwick can U email me pleeeeease ???!!! I will trade or pay whatever u want for cuttings of both your double tree dahlia varieties this fall ?!?? I have SOO MUCH to trade & will pay for S+H & cash for both!!! I've been dying to get my hands on the white & pink?? Double dahlia trees!! Only 2 places sell them & they're always sold out! TedDahlia, I also have the single purple imperialis dahlia tree. Mine is still very small bc I just bought it :( after I plant it & it grows a little bigger, I would gladly send rooted cuttings. I bought mine from Annie's annual & perennials :) I paid 9.95$ or 12$ for it . It comes in a small pot but her plants are always extremely healthy! The only problem I have is her shipping is high but I'm guessing it's bc I live across the US in Florida when she's in California. I think last time I checked she was still in stock ? My email is crossrachel@icloud.com

email me plz :) :)

• Rachel Cross- Harder
    6 years ago

TedDahlia, what part of fla ? I moved from St. Petersburg to Brooksville, fla & I'm growing some serious dahlias this year. It's my first time & so far, so good. I'm late on getting my shade cover up & have some other stuff to do to make sure I can " over summer " them but they're still alive & growing well :) so you grow any dahlias besides the trees ?

• ES
    6 years ago

I'll email you regarding the double imperialis, but wanted to reply here letting you (and other who read the thread) know that D. coccinea is a great one for Florida - nice, bushy form to about 3x5' WxT; no need for staking; seemingly immune from mildew; and the heliconid butterflies seem to like it. It has been blooming for me since May and shows no sign of slowing down. You may already have it, as you mention Annie's Annuals, and I know they sell it, but if not it is highly recommended.

• Rachel Cross- Harder
    6 years ago

ANNIES ANNUAL N PERENNIALS HAS MOST OF HER DAHLIAS BACK IN STOCK!! :) :) : ) including the bell tree dahlia :)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm