Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Dahlia's

Posted by stefinalaska 5 in Alaska (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 07 at 18:53

I have always loved Dahlia and recently decided to buy some of the blubls and plant them. I'm not sure what type theya re or anything - the photo ont eh bag looked beautiful.

I am wondering how often I should water them after planting? Should I fertilize as well?

Thanks for helping the "beginner"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Dahlia's

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Mon, May 21, 07 at 21:50

Water so that it doesn't dry out, but does not sit in wet soil all the time. Once they get going, I fertilize every couple of weeks.

o

What do you use for fertilizer these days Jroot? I'm trying a whole host of different things this year, many mentioned here at GW. My plan is to use various fertliziers on the same variety in close proximity and see how they behave.

Stef the usual advice is an inch of water a week, but it varies so with temperature, soil quality and drainage. Beware that a wilting plant in midday heat doesn't necessarily mean they need more water. If they bounce back by evening, all is well. A wilting plant that stays wilted is either dry or sick and needs further attention.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlias.net site

o
RE: New to Dahlia's II

And here's another excellent site with great photos in the "Learning Center."

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid Island Dahlia Society Site

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 07 at 18:04

I usually fertilize with 20-20-20 . This is sprayed via a hose attachment. I fertilize my brugmansia every week, but the dahlias I do every 2 weeks, if I remember.

Good advice about not overwatering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here