Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahliafever

Tubers planted, what next??

dahliafever
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I planted over 100 tubers over the past weekend. I placed a small stick where I planted the tubers to mark them as future spots for support. I read about the inverted tomato stakes, but am a bit worried about the appearance of the yard. If it would take 2 months for the plants to grow, wouldn't it be an eye soar to stake them this early? If I use single stakes, would it be enough support? Approximately 60% of my tubers are 8 inches or larger blooms.

While planting, I accidentally chopped a tuber (regret that moment, but I had to dig it out to ID the plant). The eye is intact with 2 inches of tuber. In you past experience would it survive?

Comments (12)

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Seems about the same size that other tubers are, so it should survive if it didn't get diseased.

With the plans of 100 tubers and more in subsequent years as they continue to thrive or maybe you divide them more, I think you are growing more than the average backyard garden. You may need to look into support for a larger scale dahlia planting.

Also I think some perennials don't reach their full size in one year. The dahlias I've grown are like this, so you might not need to worry about the 8" flower heads just yet.

• dahliafever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks gardenper; I am in zone 5, so I won't be able to leave them on the ground.

In terms of plant support, I am curious to know the thoughts - in terms of the yard's appearance before the plants grow and cover, how you handle it? Is single support - bamboo or sticks - effective in protecting the plants? Or does most of you go for the inverted tomato cage method?

This is my first year. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts...

• darcy_d
    9 years ago

Hi dahliafever!

I too have the fever :) I planted around 120 so far in a new cutting garden my hubby made for me. I struggled with the same worry as it is smack in the middle of our back yard. I decided I just had to put up with the ugly stakes sticking up, and hopefully my Dahlia babies grow fast so they aren't so ugly. I wanted to go with the upside down tomato cages, but it was cost prohibitive with so many. Then, I thought I'd use rebar & paint it green. But, when I went to buy it...they didn't have enough & it was all rusty already. I wound up going with the 6 ft bamboo posts (I got them at Menards) last minute. It was a lot less $, but I know I'll have to replace every few years (well, and they aren't as sturdy as rebar). So...I'd like to work at doing the rebar in the future, but for now this is it.

I'm in Illinois...where abouts in WI are you?

• dahliafever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi DarcyDee,
    I was also gravitating towards bamboo rather than the tomato cages, especillay given that I planted them in the front yard.

I live in Kenosha, WI; fairly close to the IL border and make my daily commute to Chicago, where I work. So my dahlia babies are getting very little attention on weekdays!

• gardenper
    9 years ago

It does sound like you will continue using this particular spot year after year, even if you have to lift the tubers in the fall, so I could suggest that you might put in permanent columns of something that won't decay or rot easily. Then string some twine or something else along these columns. As your dahlias grow, make sure they are weaved in and out of the twine, which will help support them.

You can do it with bamboo also or some other kind of vertical stick like that also, as long as you give it proper support.

It might even be worth it to create a PVC pipe design (or similar connecting building materials) that will offer something stable for you to have a vertical column coming up. This could be moved in and out as needed or broken down in the fall, if you don't use some kind of adhesive..

• darcy_d
    9 years ago

Ooop...yeah in the front. I have to plant mine in the front still. I fit a lot more than I thought I would in the back cutting garden & now have none pre-started for the front bed we made.

We are close...I'm about twenty minutes from Kenosha. Green Oaks/Libertyville area.

Share pics when you can. :)

• mandolls
    9 years ago

I have been using single bamboo stakes for years. Because my soil is sandy, they don't tend to rot out and they last well if I make sure and bring them inside in the winter. I use 7ft stakes that I have always gotten at K-mart.

If you are worried about the "field of sticks" look, putting in a very short stake when you plant, (so you are sure it is in the right place), and then replacing it later with a tall one will work well.

Most people I know who are planting 100's use t-posts every 6 ft. and then weave twine between them, but you have to plant in rows to do that easily.

Mine are still in pots (I pre-start them inside), but I am north of you, and on the opposite side of the state near the Twin Cities. Spring has been slow to start here, but it is here now. I'll be getting them out next week.

• darcy_d
    9 years ago

I like that idea to use a short stake to start!!

• dahliafever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gardenper, thanks for the thoughts. The problem is that except for a dozen or so Café au Laits, all my plants are staggered in the front yard. Essentially, I put them where I could get good sunlight. So, while I like your suggestion of permanent posts, unfortunately it wonâÂÂt work in my situation. But thanks for the tip.

Mandolls, I will be off to Kmart this weekend to look for the bamboo stakes; and good luck with your planting this weekend!

DarcyDee, yes we are not too far. Perhaps if the season goes according to plan, we could trade some tubers in the Fall. Good luck with your plants and I will be sure to post some snaps.

I noticed on the flier that the tomato cages and on sale at Aldi this week for $1.50 a piece (cheap ones), and 36â heavy duty ones at Farm and Fleet (in WI or wherever else you can find them) are $4.00/2 cages. I might get a few for the ones that are on the less visible spots, but mostly I will go with the bamboo stakes per mandollâÂÂs suggestion.

• darcy_d
    9 years ago

Sounds like a great plan! Do you have your ability to receive gardenweb mail turned on? I'll send you the list of what I have going in.

Your WI Dahlia tuber/plant sale is tomorrow. Are you going? Or, is your space all filled up :) I'm going to ours in IL which is also Saturday. I am also still waiting on two orders, one of which was placed months ago & is VERY late and another I just placed to get a few of the things from my want list checked off.

• dahliafever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reminder on the State tuber sale. The sale started at 7.30, and by the time I got there at 9.30, most of the stuff was gone! The lesson for next year is to take the WI dahlia society membership, as the members-only sale happens the week before. It was a great deal to buy plants that were already a foot long for $4.00. I got about 12 new plants. I turned on the email; will send you the list.

• darcy_d
    9 years ago

Oh that's too bad!! At least you were able to get some :) I'm learning I prefer the tubers to the cuttings from the sales.

I tried to mail you but your mail isn't on still...or I don't know what I'm doing :)