Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden cloth, is there a difference?

Posted by sturgeonguy 5a Ont Canada (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 08 at 19:39

Not solely Dahlia related, but my question is about a Dahlia-only bed...;-]

My local garden center is selling "gold", "silver", and presumably "bronze" garden cloth. C$14 for gold, $8 for silver, and $5 for bronze. The rolls are about twice as large as the grade goes up.

The packaging really doesn't give you any indication as to why you'd spend more.

I'm certainly fed up enough with weeds to want to use some, but I can't see why I'd use the better grades...cloth is cloth, isn't it?

If I don't put any soil on top of the cloth, and it does what its supposed to, then I shouldn't have any weeds...right?...;-]

Anyone have any experience with "better" cloth?

Also, I've been trying to decide whether to cut a slit in the cloth where the plant is going to go and wrap the cloth around the plant, or, put the cloth down and then just cut a hole in it where the plant will go.

Anyone found a difference?

Cheers,
Russ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden cloth, is there a difference?

Russ,
Try the heavier stuff that wholesale nurseries put down....It is tough as nails and can be used over and over. I found regular landscape cloth disintegrates after a while. It comes in assorted widths and you pin it down with big u shaped pins and best of all it keeps the weeds from springing up.
Jan

o
RE: Garden cloth, is there a difference?

The best garden cloth I have found is Baycor cloth - have had it down for 4 years now and it is still good. Bermuda grass however can grow through it - but you probably don't have that type of grass where you live. I get the Baycor in 3 foot rolls anything wider and the roll is too heavy to lift. Not cheap but very good. I put bark over the ground cover cloth because it is very hot where I live and the cloth is black and absorbs the heat, but in a milder or damp climate it would be great just plain. I do have problems with weed seeds germinating in the bark over the cloth and since I try to go organic as much as possible, I have to hand weed a pre-emergent should prevent that if you use. I ordered mine from OBC Northwest in Oregon and put it down with the six inch metal staples which I order by the box - those aren't cheap either due to the freight - but it sure has saved me a ton of time in weeding - so I guess time is money saved too. I have even taken up a few beds and saved the cloth and re-used it on other beds.

I got cheaper cloth and it didn't last worth beans - more trouble than it was worth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here