Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_c_gw

Cicadas? !?!

nick_c
16 years ago

Hi everybody!

I am an experienced dahlia grower (probably been @ it for 10 + years) but I have never yet gone through the 17 year crop of cicadas when they emerge.

Does anyone here have any experience with this or information?

I don't think this happens in all areas of the country, but for those of us who do have them, cicadas (also, mistakenly called locusts) emerge literally in the millions. They come out of the ground. They mate and then the females go up in the trees and lay eggs.

They don't live long but I have heard various things about that as I research this. Some say only two weeks, some say a month, some say by mid July they are all dead.

They don't have a chewing mouth, rather a sucking mouth, but I still am concerned that they may damage my dahlias when they come up because of how many there are. They will be on the ground at some point.

I planted my tubers last Friday (the 11th) and we are told the cicadas come up May 21st. Realistically, I don't expect my dahlias to be coming up for another few weeks so if the cicadas are short lived, they may die before the dahlias are up. Then again, maybe not.

I have talked to various people who say the cicadas will not bother my dahlias, but since this only happens to this degree every 17 years, I figure I would rather ask folks who know about dahlias than folks who don't really know.

Will cicadas eat or damage my young dahlia plants?

If so, is there anything that can be done to protect them?

Thank you in advance for your help... :)

Comments (4)

• grannymarsh
    16 years ago

Sounds like they eat trees ????

Here is a link that might be useful: Cicada FAQs

• nick_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Grannymarsh!

I have been getting consistent information that they won't harm flowers or dahlias. In case anyone else comes here, I'll share the latest. At some point, you just have to have faith.

I contacted Central States Dahlia society and spoke to a very nice gentleman who is very involved with dahlias in his retirement. He believes the cicadas won't harm them... so I'm not going to worry either.

They do like trees... after mating the females go up and try to find a pencil thin branch which they slit somehow, to lay their eggs. So, young trees and shrubs are very much at risk, but he believes they distinguish between trees and needing a woody place to lay the eggs and vegetative matter which is what a dahlia plant is.

So, cross your fingers! Thank you all for your help and good luck with your dahlia growing season.

I should also put in a plug for the various societies, check it out in your area. There's the American Dahlia Society, apparently, and then various state and local societies that form. I'm going to join, and it's only $12 for Central States for my wife and me for this year. They do garden walks to members gardens, they have dahlia sales (tubers, cuttings and more). This year they are apparently hosting the main dahlia show (convention?) in early September here in Illinois at Pheasant Run, and I will likely go to that too. Lots of activities and 5000 or more dahlias will be shown so I bet it will be fun, informative, and I just have a feeling that those of us who love dahlias are good people to hang around with.

• calpat
    16 years ago

Oh Nick, I had my first cicada experience some years ago in Silver City, N.M. When I first heard the "noise" I thought I was having an out of world experience, then my neighbor explained the cicada cycle and from then on it was a rather pleasant, learning experience. At that time I had a wonderful collection of Mums, Iris and veggies. Nothing was touched by these critters, once in a lifetime experience, enjoy!

• nick_c
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks calpat!

I'm in complete agreement, once I get past the paranoia about the safety of my dahlias, personally I think cicadas are COOL!

In my case I'm old enough that 51 years ago was the year before I was born, I remember them when I was 16, don't remember them 17 years ago but this time around (my third time) I am actually looking forward to it :)