Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do the dahlia cuttings stay wilted?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 20:26

The cuttings I took today have been cut below a node with a X-acto blade, that pair of leaves removed and the node buried in sand in a small plastic cup of damp sand set in a tray of water. They are so limp they are hanging over the edge. They were pretty leggy, Im wondering if I should have cut them shorter. But I thought they should have at least a few pairs of leaves. For some that means that they are still 10 inches tallor given the fact that they are laying flat, 10 inches long If they live at all I see them curving up again from a prone position much like the floppy tuber shoots themselves did. The sand is not really deep enough to put a stick in that wouldnt also fall over from the weight of the stem.

What am I overlooking? Or is this to be expected?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do the dahlia cuttings stay wilted?

You only need one (or 2 at the most) set of leaves above the sand & one set of leaf nodes is sufficient under the sand. Sounds like you could get a few more cuttings from your 10 inch cuttings.
Ellie

o
RE: Do the Dahlia Cuttings stay wilted?

Forgot to ask-- did you cut a hole in the bottom of the small container so the sand stays REALLY wet- the water below isn't just for humidity- it's to keep the sand wet at all times. You're growing your cutting in the water- the sand is just to keep it standing up straight- which it will do if it's shorter. If you didn't cut a hole it won't be wet enough & the cuttings will wilt.

o
RE: Do the dahlia cuttings stay wilted?

I did put holes in. I figured the sand had to be sopping wet. Then I can water from below too to keep it wet. I did think of cutting up the long stems and making more sections, but I dont know what Im going to do with these as it is! I have a lot of tubers started. They were too leggy and I knew I had to cut them down, and hated to waste anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here