Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of fungus.....

Posted by veryzer 5a IL (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 20:32

I started my plants in my basement under a metal halide. After a few weeks I noticed whitish powdery blotches on older leaves. It rubs off to the touch. Leaves that were coated died.

Any idea what this is? I'm treating with a Bayer Rose anti-fungal spray. Would daconil be a better choice?

Sorry, no pics. I just treated again (the first seemed somewhat successful) and am hoping I won't see it again.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of fungus.....

It sounds like powdery mildew. If I remember correctly Daconil should work, but I'd check the products' info. to see what fungus they/it control(s).

Some air movement might help, but be sure not to blow the spores onto the other plants.

It sounds a like a severe outbreak if you have dying leaves. I'd carefully remove them so as to not infect any other plants and dispose of them carefully. Be sure to wash your hands and disinfect your clippers to avoid spread.

o

Powdery mildew is very infectious and kills dahlias. In the Fall we sometimes get very bad powdery mildew and without spraying, the plants can turn completely white and all leaves that turn white die in a week or so. If you spray after the leaf turns white, the leaf still usually dies but the new leaves will be normal green.
I once had an infection on some cuttings that were inside my house and sprayed them and thought I had cured them. I planted them outside and the powdery mildew infected those plants again and about 10 feet of row near them(in July no less!). I sprayed with a systemic fungicide and controlled it. I use Strike (Triadimefon).

o

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here