Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias outside when?

Posted by petpalikali Wi-Z4 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 21:08

Hey there all. I didn't realize that the thingies I planted were Dahlias until the leaves came out. I've never had Dahlias before. When can I leave them outside...I'm running out of space in my dining room! Can they handle any frost we might happen to still get?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias outside when?

No frost! Esp. when they've got some growth. It'll turn the leaves to something resembling cooked spinach- yuck. Move out the furniture- then you'll have more room for your dahlias :)
Ellie

o

Hey there Dahlia Gardener, I am laughing at your suggestion! And, considering it just a little. I started a bunch of Cannas, some of which turned out to be Dahlias, that I had been given. Never having started bulbs or tubers in my home, I am shocked at the growth and how much space they are using up! I have barely been able to get any seeds started. Thanks for your answer on the frost!

o

Ellie, my dahlias got nipped by frost on their very small tips, the new growth seems to be OK but has the frost damaged future flowers or anything? Thanks for any input. Kat

o

Kitkat- they'll come back fine if they were just nipped on the tips. Your blooms might be one flower late but not more than topping would have done. You were lucky that the frost wasn't a hard one that would mush up all the new growth but even then, if the tuber doesn't freeze the plant will usually start growing all over again but blooming is set back every time you lose new growth.
Ellie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here