Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portia_gw

So tempted...

portia
9 years ago

This is my first year growing and I have about 18 tubers already started in 4inch and 1gal pots that I'll be planting over the next 2 weeks (some are already 8-12" tall!). You'd think that maybe I would just be content with those to start...but nope. The online sales of slashed pricing are so tempting right now, especially since I can get lilies and other spring bulbs now too at discount pricing.

I just hope the tubers can get here in enough time to get them going without losing too much of the growing season and that they are viable!

Comments (9)

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    9 years ago

Please tell which sites are having good sales!!

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I know not everyone loves some of the online non-specialty shops because they can be hit or miss; but Van B is having clearance as is Hirt's. Also my local Lowes had a fair amt of dahlia bulbs at 50-75% off--I got some of my fastest to sprout tubers from them earlier this year so figured why not give a try!

Looks like I missed the Brent and Becky sale as they are all sold out. I'm also checking out Connell's but they aren't necessarily on sale, just have a good selection left it seems.

• dahliafever
    9 years ago

Got an email from Swam Island today - they have a 30% off clearence sale starting today until early June.

Also check out dahlias.net for the local State Dahlia Society tuber/plant sale. This might be the most cost effective way. In addition, if you buy the plant from the Society, you are supporting a group that LOVES Dahlias, and, you save 3-4 weeks of growing time! Good luck.

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I *just* missed my local sale by a week and a half...too busy to look it up, fail! Was tempted to email them and see if they had anything left to sell.

Was the Swan Island email needing a coupon code or an email link, I don't see anything marked down on their site.

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Figured it out, just add to your cart and it deducts the %%. I got 5 tubers last nite for $30 including shipping, not bad! Thanks for the FYI, dahliafever!

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    9 years ago

thank you

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Easytogrowbulbs.com is having a big sale. Their reviews on Daves Garden are pretty good. They also have Cafe au Lait which I thought was sold out everywhere. Was unsure that inventory was correct but they shipped my order today so we will see what I get!

• gardenper
    9 years ago

That's what I do...buy some early to make sure I get strong and good tubers/plants, then buy some additional ones when they go on sale or clearance.

It will also be worth it to learn how to propagate by cuttings so one could have even more dahlias (and later by separating the bulbs, depending on how much time one will want to wait before doing that)

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update, the tubers came and they were very nice, firm, large with multiple tiny sprouts already. I got them in the ground this wkd so we'll see!

I definitely would love to propagate via cuttings, have to research that one.