Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over-fertilized tuber in pot ..how to amend

Posted by vzz1924 7a (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 22:44

I have a situation...

The first Dahlia I planted in a pot, it was planted upside down but, the plant is doing just fine and has now grown pretty tall in couple months (considering it circled the whole pot underground trying to find a way)... almost 2 feet and has nice big leaves. I topped it after 4 sets of leaves and now it has nice bushy structure.

Now, the problem is with the other ones. I planted them properly in pot and covered the tuber with soil and left a lil' bit of the sprouts above ground to see the growth. I heard Nitrogen helps them so, based on some advice from folks I put in some lawn fertilizer and lil bit (half teaspoon) of osmocote+ in the pot w/ the tubers. After 3 weeks, the some of the sprouts look reallllllllllly small with couple of them barely showing any growth.

Worried.. I dug them up neatly w/o hurting the feeder root and then washed the tubers with water very softly and then changed the soil in the pot with normal potting soil with lil' amount of bulb tone from espoma. I am now watching them and hoping I have not completely destroyed the tubers.

Has anyone experienced something like this? If it helps, the first dahlia (planted upside down) was Akita and the others w/ growth problem are Ivory Palaces, Cornel, Canoz Anne, Ms. Julie, Hana Hitosuzi, Ruskin Andrea.

Appreciate your feedbacks and suggestions as always.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over-fertilized tuber in pot ..how to amend

Hi there, actually Dahlia's need LOW nitrogen fertilizer. I don't know what to tell you to do. I will leave that to someone else on the forum. You can go to the site
www.dahlias.net to read more about growing dahlias.Look under care and culture.
april

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here