Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mytime_gw

Vassio meggos

mytime
12 years ago

Does anyone grow vassio meggos? I'm curious because of my 10 new dahlias, it's the only one that hasn't started sprouting. The tuber is nice and plump and it looks like 3 or even 4 eyes on it, but other than 1 growing root, nothing is happening. I'm just wondering if it is a late starter, or if I should start worrying now.

Comments (21)

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

I've got several varieties that seem to be late starters. Most of them are A's and AA's. So I'm starting to wonder if A's and AA's are prone to both bloom late and sprout late.

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

I just checked my Vassio Meggos. It is in the same state as yours, along with several other of my larger varieties. The balls, the minitures, the novelties, they all seem to be taking off and impatient to be in the ground.

• monet_g
    12 years ago

I do. Isn't it a fabulous flower? I potted my tubers for an early start and didn't notice that VM was any later than most of those. I do have some others that are being shy.

If yours fails this year, contact next Jan/Feb and I'll hold a tuber for you.
    Gail

• mytime
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't mean to buy any AAs or As, but got carried away and bought 5...all the others are growing like crazy. So in this case, I don't think it's just because of the size. When I bought them, I was with a friend ... she was actually advised not to buy a particular tuber because it was known for being late, so I thought I was safe with my selections...sigh.
    Gail, thank you for your kind offer. If it doesn't grow, I'll be looking to get a replacement...we'll see how good the guarantee is!

• mytime
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, it took a magnifying glass to confirm it, but something's happening today! Finally, a little green and purple...yaaaay

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

This is such a fab dahlia! I haven't dug mine to see if it survived...I am afraid to, even though most of mine did. I Love this one! I'm not sure I am going to have one of its yellow sister, Edna C though. I cant find any eyes on it. THese are my favorite shape of dahlia. I was heart broken that my Wyn's Ghostie was blind and they are out of them so have to wait until next year. It was the one I was most looking forward too. But I am still keeping it warm and watching it...just don't even see a potential eye possibility on it. THey did refund my money but I wanted Ghostie! Good luck!

• mytime
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooooh, how did I miss Edna C? That's a color I really want! That color of yellow is sometimes difficult to come by in the garden. Guess I know what will top my list for next year...

• teddahlia
    12 years ago

Edna C("C" for Comstock) was the seed parent of Spartacus. Vassio Meggos is a "sport" of Spartacus, meaning that a Spartacus plant mutated to a lavender color. If you like this shape and size of flower, R. Kris is a white version of Edna C. and is quite nice. Edna C can be spectacular but nearly everybody who grows it has variable results. Some plants in some years are great, tubers from that plant fail to perform the next year. It should grow about 4 feet tall and the poorer plants grower shorter and have little vigor.

• mytime
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for that info...I don't want to bother with a dahlia that is known for being "iffy".

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

I've seen some really spectacular flowers at shows of Edna C, and it was on the top of my list of flowers that I wanted to grow last year. My results last year were poor and the tubers were composted with a resolve to try again with new stock. I've bought new tubers from two sources. If neither produces well this year, I'm with mytime. I've no wish to waste resources on iffy varieties! I'm trying Vassio Meggos for the first time this year. Is it pretty easy to grow? It looks gorgeous.

• monet_g
    12 years ago

I've given up on Edna C, too.

I find "Vassio Meggos", as well as "Spartacus" easy to grow. Both produce tubers well, plus, they're not finicky when it comes to storing them. Both have fabulous flowers. An A+ in all respects.

I'm yearning to get "Louie Meggos", a newer white form. I checked for it at the local tuber sales to no avail. Maybe next year.

• honnat
    12 years ago

Don't give up. It's fabulous. This variety won largest bloom at our MN dahlia show last year (not mine). Even though it is not officially an AA dahlia; it can get HUGE. I am also waiting for my vassio meggos tubers to "eye up." I'm not too hopeful with mine - I don't think I divided it right last year and may have composted the eyes. I enjoyed this variety so much that this year I am planting Spartacus and Louie Meggos (newer white 'sport' of Spartacus). So even if I don't have Vassio Meggos again; I'll have her cousins!

Here is mine from last year
    {{gwi:641145}}

• mytime
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gorgeous picture...nice to see what I have to look forward to!

• chocolatemoose
    12 years ago

That is one gorgeous dahlia. I recently received a box of tubers from a GW member. I had commented on his Glorie van Noordwijk and he sent one of those, along with a Vassio Meggos AND Edna C and a bunch of others. I can't wait to see them!

• tastedeath
    12 years ago

I grew one last year that had a white streak in the bloom very interesting.
    [IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/tastedeath/110_0041.jpg[/IMG]

• tastedeath
    12 years ago

{{gwi:641146}}

• mytime
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is interesting...just the one bloom?

• teddahlia
    12 years ago

Spartacus and the sports of Spartacus are very prone to color "sports". Dahlia people call the white petals "wolf petals", meaning that some of the florets on this individual flower have mutated to white. If the entire plant produces white flowers, it would be a color "sport" of Vassio Meggos and the tubers from that plant would have white flowers. Louis Meggos is a white sport of Vassio Meggos.

• tastedeath
    12 years ago

I had only one bloom that was with a white streak all others were solid lavender blooms. "Wolf petals" huh see I learned something.

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

I learned something too. Thanks again Ted!

• mytime
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unfortunately VM got such a late start last year that I never got to see much of a performance. But it already is as far along as it was last year in May...and no magnifying glass needed, either. YAY, I should get to see some spectacular blooms this year!