Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to dahlias

Posted by fay-93 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 9:48

Hi! Earlier this spring we went to a yard sale that sold cheep perennials. One of the perennials being sold was a dahlia and the lady that was selling them said we did not need to bring the dahlia in before frost. Did you ever hear of a dahlia like that or isn't it really a dahlia? How should I care for it? Thanks for any info! -Fay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to dahlias

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 12:24

Many folks say to let the dahlia get hit with the first frost in the autumn, and then bring it in when the leaves are turning black. The idea behind that is to force the good of the plant into the tuber.

Others say, get them out just before frost.

Your call. If it is a light frost, I prefer the former. If it is a really heavy frost, I hope that the soil protects the tubers. As I say, your call.

Keep it in the sun. They love that. I also prefer to plant them directly into the ground, with a stake behind it for support.

Enjoy !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here