Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A dahlia flower arrangement

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 10:35

I just wanted to share a flower arrangement that I put together this morning. It includes: Pinelands Princess, Alloway Candy, Bonesta, Onesta, Arabian Night, Le Baron, Sonic Bloom and a red sport of Serano. Other materials include white calla lilies, gooseneck loosestrife and golden rod.

pink-purple-dahlias

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A dahlia flower arrangement

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 11:50

I've been anxiously awaiting the pictures to start...beautiful job on the arrangement!
The frizzy one on the lower right--is that Sonic Bloom? I think I lost Myrtle's Folly over the winter...won't know for sure until a few that I got mixed up bloom. Anyway, someone sent me Sonic Bloom, so I'm excited if that's really what it looks like--it can replace my lost Myrtle's Folly!

o

No, the dahlia in the lower right is Pinelands Princess. Sonic bloom looks like this:

SonicBloom

It's on a different side of the arrangement. Last year my Sonic Bloom looked more washed out like the Swan Island picture. This year the color is much more nicely saturated. I don't know why. Maybe it's all the 10-20-20 I'm feeding my dahlias this year... ;) Also it hasn't been too blazing hot yet so I'm sure that's helping improve color saturation.

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 13:34

Okay, that's more what I was expecting Sonic Bloom to look like...thanks!

o

Nice Steve!

I am so jealous that you have so much blooming already. I didnt get mine all planted out until the 7th of June this year, and we have had so much rain and cloudy weather, they are not growing very fast. I doubt I will have blooms for another month.

I am going to have to get some Callas in next year. They make such a great contrast with the Dahlias in your arrangements.

I have a big vase with a dozen peonies and some purple salvia that I put together yesterday, but no Dahlias.

o

I really love how your Gooseneck Loosestrife pops out of the composition, giving the perfect foil to separate the round dahlia blooms. I had a chance a few years back to add a large bunch of it to my garden, but was warned that it would take over. Perhaps I'll see if I can arrange a trade with her.

What is your experience with GL?

o

CCvacation,

Gooseneck Loosestrife does spread quickly by runners and it's level of invasiveness is comparable to mint. It isn't a good choice for a mixed perennial bed where you want each plant to stay in it's place. It would be best to give it a dedicated bed of it's own or perhaps put it in some out of the way corner of your property. The runners are sturdy so you can pull them out if need be so It's not impossible to get rid of like plants with fragile runners. I really like using it in cut arrangements. It has a good vase life, a nice spikey form, strong but thin stems and a good pure neutral white color that works well with all other colors. The small individual flowers continue to open in the vase. It likes water and part shade would be preferable in a hot climate. I would recommend it, just keep in mind it's growth habit and plan accordingly.

o

Nice selection of purple and pink flowers along with a bit of white, The red flower buried in there could have been left out.

o

Hmm... I think I have a perfect spot for it next to the wood line. Thank you for such a thorough assessment!

Cheers!
CC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here