Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

A dahlia flower arrangement

steve22802
10 years ago

I just wanted to share a flower arrangement that I put together this morning. It includes: Pinelands Princess, Alloway Candy, Bonesta, Onesta, Arabian Night, Le Baron, Sonic Bloom and a red sport of Serano. Other materials include white calla lilies, gooseneck loosestrife and golden rod.

{{gwi:641727}}

Comments (8)

• mytime
    10 years ago

I've been anxiously awaiting the pictures to start...beautiful job on the arrangement!
    The frizzy one on the lower right--is that Sonic Bloom? I think I lost Myrtle's Folly over the winter...won't know for sure until a few that I got mixed up bloom. Anyway, someone sent me Sonic Bloom, so I'm excited if that's really what it looks like--it can replace my lost Myrtle's Folly!

• steve22802
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, the dahlia in the lower right is Pinelands Princess. Sonic bloom looks like this:

{{gwi:641729}}

It's on a different side of the arrangement. Last year my Sonic Bloom looked more washed out like the Swan Island picture. This year the color is much more nicely saturated. I don't know why. Maybe it's all the 10-20-20 I'm feeding my dahlias this year... ;) Also it hasn't been too blazing hot yet so I'm sure that's helping improve color saturation.

• mytime
    10 years ago

Okay, that's more what I was expecting Sonic Bloom to look like...thanks!

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Nice Steve!

I am so jealous that you have so much blooming already. I didnt get mine all planted out until the 7th of June this year, and we have had so much rain and cloudy weather, they are not growing very fast. I doubt I will have blooms for another month.

I am going to have to get some Callas in next year. They make such a great contrast with the Dahlias in your arrangements.

I have a big vase with a dozen peonies and some purple salvia that I put together yesterday, but no Dahlias.

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

I really love how your Gooseneck Loosestrife pops out of the composition, giving the perfect foil to separate the round dahlia blooms. I had a chance a few years back to add a large bunch of it to my garden, but was warned that it would take over. Perhaps I'll see if I can arrange a trade with her.

What is your experience with GL?

• teddahlia
    10 years ago

Nice selection of purple and pink flowers along with a bit of white, The red flower buried in there could have been left out.

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

Hmm... I think I have a perfect spot for it next to the wood line. Thank you for such a thorough assessment!

Cheers!
    CC