Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avamava

My first dahlia from a tuber just bloomed

avamava
11 years ago

I am beside myself with joy. When I went out this morning to see if my dahlia had bloomed, it felt like Christmas morning and I was a child again. The dahlia is Mary Jo which I ordered from Swan Island, and it is just the prettiest mauve tinged with yellow. I'll come back this evening with a picture.

Comments (16)

• vikingcraftsman
    11 years ago

Great news, glad you shared it with us. Now start making your list with which dahlias you want for next year. After taking pictures of course.

• avamava
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here you go! I love it.

My list for next year is about a mile long. The list I really need to work on is the list for where I think I can grow them in my yard.

• addicted2dahlias
    11 years ago

What a beauty, avamava! Haven't had my first bloom yet. Waiting not-so-patiently!

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

that is so pretty! Love the color blend. Its a lot like "Wyoming Wedding" at the very end of the season when the pink in it fades and let's the other colors in it show through. You might want Wyoming Wedding to go with that one! It was my favorite out of 160 different dahlias last year.

• avamava
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, wow, "Wyoming Wedding" is a beauty. I think I'm addicted to this color palette, since I planted a bunch in the same vein: "Bliss", "Linna", and "Day Dreamer".

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

that is so pretty! Love the color blend. Its a lot like "Wyoming Wedding" at the very end of the season when the pink in it fades and let's the other colors in it show through. You might want Wyoming Wedding to go with that one! It was my favorite out of 160 different dahlias last year.

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

I don't know why but I have never seen a flower from my "Linna" even though I have tried it for 3 years. The plants seemed much spindlier then the others I was starting this year. I notice the same thing with Sheer Heaven and Bluetiful, two Swan Island Dahlias I Really loved their first year.

• mytime
    11 years ago

One of my favorites in the same color range is in bloom right now...it looks brighter on a sunny day! This is Bahama Mama.

• hnycrk
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful flowers!

• addicted2dahlias
    11 years ago

How do you get Bahama Mama to bloom in Alaska in June??? Mine doesn't even have a bud yet - but Jitterbug just bloomed, and though tiny, I like her a lot!

• mytime
    11 years ago

Oooh, now I think I'll have to get Jitterbug!
    As to getting blooms already...I start mine in pots in the garage, then they move to the house when they get above the dirt, then to the greenhouse, and then outside the end of May/beg. of June. I have at least 6 or 7 that generous gardenwebbers sent me that I probably won't see blooms on this year. If we don't have them started early, we don't see blooms until the end of summer, and even though they are beautiful, it just isn't worth the garden space for only a week or two of bloom.
    Bahama Mama is actually much prettier than the pic I posted...for some reason some of the mauve came out brown with my Iphone.

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

I do the same routine as you, down here in Puget Sound. Interesting that we seem to be on about the same time table!

Yes, I thought the brown Bahama Mama was the ugliest one I had ever seen, LOL. Glad to hear it is just a cell phone camera issue, not the flower! I LOVE Bahama Mama and felt a bit protective towards it.

I picked my Hollyhill Candystripe today. Its a first for me and so pretty. From the pictures I was afraid it would be lavender with a red stripe but its a nice candy pink with a red violet stripe which works for me.

• addicted2dahlias
    11 years ago

lizalily - can you post a picture of your Hollyhill Candystripe? I googled it, but am getting a purple flower, even tho the colors are listed as pink, white and red. :(

I can't wait to see Bahama Mama bloom. We've taken a number of winter vacations in the Bahamas and it would be nice to have a reminder of those times. Alas, catalog pictures and reality don't always sync, but I always enjoy seeing a new variety open.

• addicted2dahlias
    11 years ago

Mytime ~ If you would like to try Jitterbug, I would be glad to send you a tuber in the fall when I dig (assuming it produces some). That way you could wake it up whenever you wanted to next spring.

• mytime
    11 years ago

Addicted2dahlias, that is such a generous offer. I'm sending you an email.