Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hnycrk

Everything's in full bloom!

hnycrk
11 years ago

This is my first year ever growing Dahalies and would like to share some photos with you all. Feedback welcome.

{{gwi:641958}}

{{gwi:641960}}

{{gwi:641961}}

{{gwi:641962}}

{{gwi:641963}}

Comments (12)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures! I am jealous, I don't have any out yet but I have a couple that are getting close. Do you know the names of them?

Linda

• hnycrk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Linda, the first picture is called sky angel, as far as the rest I'll find out when I get home and post more pics. All of these were bought as tubers from lowes.

• Missy, Traverse City, Mi Z5
    11 years ago

Is that first dahlia really blue? What zone are you in to have such early blooms?

• hnycrk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi trustmissy, I'm In zone 8a about 50 miles south of Atlanta. And yes that first dahalia really is that blue. I'm a little worried about them with this heat were having 102 for a high tomorrow.

• hnycrk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The varieties I'm growing are....
    Seattle Dahalia
    Duet
    Strawberry Ice
    Sky Angel
    Noorwijks Glorie
    Mystery Day

More pictures.
    {{gwi:641964}}
    {{gwi:641965}}

{{gwi:641966}}

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Impressive!. You are at least a month a head of me weather wise. I dont even have buds yet.

• hnycrk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They seen to be taking the heat but are extremely wilted come late afternoon. I've been misting with water daily early in morning and late afternoon. Trying not to over do it, not sure what else to do.

This one might not make it.
    {{gwi:641967}}

Took these this morning.

{{gwi:641968}}

{{gwi:641970}}

{{gwi:641972}}

Some Zinnias
    {{gwi:641974}}

Just gotta work through this heat.

• davidinsf
    11 years ago

Are you sure about those names?

I have Strawberry Ice and Seattle and I didn't see any pic that matched them. (Seattle is yellow/white, S.I. is pink and yellow). Duet and Mystery Day are almost identical - red and white. I don't see any of these in the pics.

But they are pretty!

I do not get enough sun for Zinnias so I am definitely jealous about yours!

• addicted2dahlias
    11 years ago

I'd really like to know the name of the first one. It is such a pretty color!

You are far ahead of me. I just had my first flower open - a miniature (Jitterbug)

• hnycrk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi addicted2dahalies, the first one is called Sky Angel.

Your flower is beautiful by the way :)

davidinsf, I'm pretty sure on the names. Some haven't bloomed yet so maybe it the one you don't see. Heres strawberry ice pic on pack..
    {{gwi:641976}}

Here's mine...
    {{gwi:641972}}

Seattle pack...
    {{gwi:641979}}

Mine...
    {{gwi:641961}}

Mystery Day pack...
    {{gwi:641980}}

Mine....
    {{gwi:641981}}

Duet pack....
    {{gwi:641982}}

Mine...
    {{gwi:641983}}

I have some smaller Dahalies in pots, when the orange one bloomed it was orange, now it's changed to more of a red color. So they do seem to change.maybe we have different cultivators.

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

I grew Sky Angel last year and it never got bluer then a medium lavender. IT must like your heat! I am glad to know it really does get this blue for you. My son bought if for me so I have a special feeling for it! I hope your Strawberry Ice and Seattle improve over the summer. I have a Gitts Respect that is supposed to be red with orange tips and is opening bright yellow with red streaks, but we have hardly had a day over 65 degrees yet. I am sure it will color up over the summer. Summer just doesn't start here until July.

• addicted2dahlias
    11 years ago

Sky Angel is soooo gorgeous! It's on my list for next year and I only hope the one I get turns out as beautiful as yours!

The rest of my dahlias are taking their sweet time but will send photos as soon as they start to open up.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County