Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harlequins in pots

Posted by 715rose none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 11:51

I picked up a 6 pack of Harlequins.Four of them are the prettiest red & I'd like to pot them together,at least 3 of them. Wonder how big the pot should be?
Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harlequins in pots

I see you haven't gotten a response, probably because I think harlequins are the bedding dahlias, and most dahlia addicts grow the three ft to seven feet varieties in the ground.

I've never seen six-packs of dahlias in the store, so I had been watching to see if anyone would respond, as well.

Please don't take a no-answer as ignoring, but as a collective "I'm not sure..."

Cheers!
CC

o

Well I'm a new dahlia lover. Last year I grew a bargain bulb from Walmart and it was the most beautiful red and white bloom. So, about the 6 packs. I bought a container from Lowes last summer. It was about a 20 inch pot. I would estimate that there were 3-4 plants. It filled the container nicely. The six packs won't get very tall. Flowers are not huge but they are pretty.

o

The Harlequins are a bedding dahlia, getting about a foot tall (or less).

I've grown single plants in 2-gallon pots, where they did reasonably well. So if you want to plant three of them in one pot, I'd go with a 7- or 10-gallon pot.

One-gallon pots are too small in my experience - the roots get too hot.

I like the Harlequins, and I save my favorites. They make tubers just like real dahlias!

o

I saw little six packs of bedding dahlias at one of the small nursery set ups around here for the first time this year.

I grew some from seed last year and again this year, and was wondering why they were not popular with the growers. I didnt grow Harlequins, and I grew them in the ground, but the two types I have tried ended up being 12-18" tall and wide. They bloomed well all summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here