Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
slug damage

Posted by kcutler WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 11:57

I recently planted a dahlia in my garden and overnight it had a large percentage of it eaten by slugs, including the top of the main stem. I have put out a barrier an deterrent for the slugs, but I am wondering what I can do - if anything - to help this plant survive and eventually bloom this year. It does have a few solid leaves left, and there are a few new leaves emerging; but with the top stem damaged, is there any chance it will bloom this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: slug damage

I had a slug work over one of mine while I was on vacation. I put more bait out and it seems to be recovering. It has lots of nice green shoots where before it was just two slimy stumps leveled to the ground. The jury is still out on whether this one will make it and bloom, since I am also battling some underground symphylans that have gotten 6 of my dahlia tubers already.

I wish you luck with your dahlias and curses on those rotten slugs, but at least I can give you a little hope that the plant should sprout a little green.. :)

o
RE: slug damage

"Topping" the main stem is the way most dahlia growers ensure a bushier plant with more laterals - the slug just did it for you! It's usually done when the plant is about 2' tall & has a couple of rows of leaves. It should come back just fine & bloom for you until frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here