Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_in_quebec

Dahlias in Pots

anna_in_quebec
14 years ago

Each year I pot some dahlias for which I have no more room in the dahlia bed. I rarely have much success and I would like to know what I may be doing wrong. For those of you who have success with potted dahlias, please tell me exactly what size of pot, type of soil, fertilizer etc. Many thanks - Anna

Comments (3)

• jroot
    14 years ago

BIG pots. Lots of good potting soil, with good drainage. Placed in a sunny location. Actually, the pots I use are made from styrofoam, so the roots don't get too hot. If I don't have one of those available, I will put a pot within a larger pot, just to keep the soil a cooler temperature. Good drainage is essential

I hope that help, Anna.

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! Now, if it's a large pot, say 14-16", would you put more than one plant?

• misslucinda
    14 years ago

Hi Anna:

What you haven't mentioned is the size of the dahlias you are planting. If B and larger, I would only put one in a 14" pot. However, I do have an old galvanized washtub which I painted white and I plant three in there whithout a problem (B sizes I believe).

One thing they do suggest is mixing your potting soil about 50-50 with top soil. Holds more moisture and anchors the plants better.

Good luck,

Lucinda

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022