vikingcraftsman
14 years ago

{{gwi:642208}}
{{gwi:642209}}
{{gwi:642210}}

Comments (15)

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

Did you start that outside or did you start it in a pot? Steve in Baltimore County. It' a beauty.

• vikingcraftsman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Steve ,Cory got the tubers to me in March. I started them in doors under lights. In April I moved them to the poly house, then in May they were moved to the big pots out on my drive way. They are there so the neighbor hood can seen them.

• monet_g
    14 years ago

My thoughts and questions exactly, Steve. Yow! He is indeed a beauty, Viking. I'm so glad that I'm growing "Wyn's Farmer John". Not blooming yet, but buds are showing - Yeah!

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Lovely melt-in-your-mouth delicacy, and great photos too. How big do you think it is right now?

• plantlady2008
    14 years ago

Nice job, viking-- We only have one Farmer J in bloom right now- & like yours, not nearly as open as he'll get. Glad you like him!

• vikingcraftsman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I measured farmer John this morning and we are at 9 inches. Neighbors are impressed. I have started to drag them over to see what is in bloom.

• vikingcraftsman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:642211}}

• misslucinda
    14 years ago

Very yummy Viking!

Best,

Lucinda

• vikingcraftsman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad you are still around misslucinda. Hope you have a good year this year.

• veryzer
    14 years ago

What did you use for lighting vikingcraftsman? Fluorescent, compact, fluorescent, other? Did you wait until they sprouted to light them or do it immediately? Is the poly house a necessity with good artificial lighting? I attempted to start mine indoors this year on the floor by a window with very little water. Some sprouted over the course of five weeks but very little happened. Most don't even have buds yet.....You're obviously on to something.

• vikingcraftsman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I use regular florescent lights with the money savers that are twisted in spot light holders. And yes I would recomend the poly house. Under lights the dahlias tend to get leggy. But once under natural light and cool nights the stems get thicker and deeper green.

• ceh2101
    14 years ago

If you plant under a metal halide light, you do not have to worry about the legginess. I bought one this year for about $300 and think it was worth the investment.

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

Farmer John well opened today. Humongous 9 inches and climbing for the sun. Have a strange seedling I am waiting on. The main stem is 1 1/4 inches. Hey maybe it,s a misplaced banana tree. Steve in B altimore County.

• monet_g
    14 years ago

My FJ is just breaking bud. Almost wish I could slow him down as I will visiting family next weekend and wanted to show (off) them. Actually, timing might just be right - who knows with this cool non-summer.

• veryzer
    14 years ago

ceh2101, how much area does the metal halide cover? I've ordered before from a place that sells compact flourescent retro kits for fish tanks. One bulb gives (using their accompanying reflector) 25,000 lux, which isn't sunshine, but it's brighter than the brightest midday shade. I'm sure the metal halide is better, but I'm not sure I could afford it. A kit with bulbs for a 4'x2' area would run a little over $100. I might give it a try.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH